| Eighteen

"JUST PICK an outfit, Emery." May sits on Emery's bed, already ready for their date. The only thing she's waiting on is Emery to do her hair, but she can't unless she gets dressed.

And Emery is having a hard time. She doesn't want to look like she tried too hard, but also can't look like she didn't try at all. This is important to May and she's determined to make her friend happy.

Emery decides on a simple floral dress that clings to her waist and flares out at the hip, then quickly getting to May's hair. She does it up in a braided crown, and a waterfall braid for herself.

May has always been a master at makeup, so she does an elaborate natural look that fits her face perfectly. Emery, not so much. She skips the makeup, and settles for just admiring May's. May doesn't think Emery should cover her freckles anyway.

Emery wishes she could.

May sports a red top with lacy details, and a short black body con skirt. Emery finds herself impressed that May has always been able to pull off every look. Crop tops, short skirts, etc. Still loving that for May, she appreciates he simple pieces.

On special occasions, she can give in.

They hear the honk of Tate's car sooner than they expected. Emery throws on some wedges, putting her at maybe 5'4. May slips on some black flats that tie up her ankle.

They hurry down the stairs, Emery tripping in her shoes more times than she'd like to admit. She throws a quick goodbye to her parents, leaving them to probably fight while she's gone.

They hurry to the car, where May sits in the front by her boyfriend, and Emery is stuck in the back with her fake boyfriend, the lovely Harven.

Harven returns his phone to his pocket when Emery enters the car.

"I can't believe you agreed to this." Harven shakes his head in disbelief.

Emery huffs. "Finally, something we can agree on." She turns her head to him. He's clad in black jeans with minimal rips and yellow jumper that happens to match the floral pattern on her dress.

"What the hell?" Emery groans, purring her head in her hands.

"What is it now?" Harven asks. The natural grin on his face at her frustrations still appears on his lips.

"Why did you wear that!" She lifts his arm up by the material.

"Because... I like it?" He furrows his brows, not seeing the problem.

"Well- now we match! That's weird." She looks uncomfortably at his light yellow jumper, then back down to her own dress.

"Maybe you shouldn't wear such a common color." He crosses his arms and lifts his brows.

She gasps. "That is not-"

"Oh do you guys ever shut up?" May groans from the front seat. With one last look at each other, they both keep quiet for the remainder of the car ride.

They arrive at a pottery building. Emery scrunches her face up, this is not what she expected. Maybe Tate didn't even know about this, by the look of his face.

"I didn't want to go to a boring old restaurant, so we're going to make pots together. Together, Emery." May smirks at her friend.

"Yep. Totally together." Emery smiles, but really having no intention of working with Harven. She sees why this would be cute for a lot of couples. But they are not a couple, as she's mentioned before, they are allies.

Which actually should be over soon, since Lana is out of the picture. Emery brightens at the thought.

When they get inside, both of the "couples" are seated together. The instructor gives them a few rules and guidance, and they begin to get their hands dirty with the wet clay.

Only five minutes in, Harven reaches over and smears a glob of the clay onto Emery's shoulder.

"Now we don't match." He smirks. Emery sits stunned, as this is one of the only dresses she has. Then the look in her eyes shift.

She gets a palm full herself, smearing it across the side of Harven's face.

"You're right, we really don't." She smiles sweetly, admiring her work.

He gasps, surprised. "Oh you're gonna regret that." He actually throws some at her, and she returns it.

Eventually, they're chasing each other around the small space they were placed in, while Tate and May debate on whether to get in the middle of this clay war.

Emery has a hard time defending herself from his larger body, but can duck from the balls of clay really easily.

The instructor comes in, and when she catches sight of them, she gasps, looking angry.

"You two! Out of my building!" She stated, still assessing the mess they had made.

Emery and Harven look blankly at each other, then make their way out of the door slowly. The clay on their shoes make footprints as they exit.

Once outside, they take a seat on the concrete, both of them staying quiet and annoyed.

"You started it!"

"This is your fault!"

They protest at the same time, staring each other down. After a while, they break into a laugh at the same time, remembering their stupid fight.

Both of them sit wet and sticky, watching the cars drive by. They can't help but laugh at the ones that slow to look at the sight of them.

Soon, May and Tate come out, shaking their heads in disappointment at the pair. They all laugh about it on the way home.

"Everything was such a fail." May chuckles in the car.

Eh, Emery thinks, maybe not everything.