| Twenty- three

WHILE EMERY is walking down the hall, Kade falls into place beside her. She looks up at him, smiling. Kade returns it automatically.

"Hello, Emery."

"Hi, Kade." She responds.

Emery reaches the door to her next class, turning to Kade.

"Okay, what is it?" She grins at him, knowing he has something he would like to say. She hopes it's what she thinks it is.

"I was wondering if you'd like to go on another date?" He leans against the wall. Emery can't help the grin that stays painted on her face.

"I would, very much." She nods.

She smiles, relieved. "Can I pick you up on Saturday?" He asks.

"Yes you can. I'll see you later." She smiles, and he wants to lean in so bad, but he lets her turn into her classroom.

Emery gets a normal breath in when she's inside. She's decidedly excited for a second date.

_____________

At lunch, the three friends sit together again. Emery sits by herself, while May and Tate chat on the other side.

Harven finally makes his way to the table, which is the first time Emery sees him that day. When he sits down, Emery realizes how tired and disheveled he looks.

"Jeez, Harven." She looks at him, then moves his dark hair around into a presentable state, and flattens our some wrinkles that show across his t-shirt. She shakes her head and returns to her food.

He stares at her, until she looks up.

"What?" She furrows her brows.

"Uh-nothing." He turns to his own plate. Then, May and Tate stop their discussion, turning to both Emery and Harven.

"Do you guys wanna hang out after school? I I have a cool party basement." Tate asks them, to which Harven brightens at.

"Hell yeah! That basement is amazing." He smiles. Emery looks skeptically at him and Tate.

"Why?" She cocks her head.

"I don't know Emery, for fun?" Tate says sarcastically, laughing.

"Okay, yeah, fun. I'll be there." Emery lifts her head. Harven stifles a laugh beside her, and Emery smacks his arm.

"Great, I'll send the address to you guys." Tate picks up his phone, and Emery smiles lightly, glad to see Tate begin to talk a bit more. She even notices the proud look on May's face.

Emery's thinks she will like this small get together much more than an actual party. It's small and consists of only her friends.

Perfect.

_______________

She was wrong, less people does not mean low-key.

Emery felt pretty cozy at first seeing the basement. There were purple lights across the ceiling, couches and a TV. Tate brings food down, chips and salsa. He also pours some water for each of them.

Actual water.

Music is put on, and turned up all the way, Tate saying that his parents aren't home. Emery cringes at the loud music, watching May and Tate dance carelessly from the couch. Harven takes a seat beside her.

"We can dance like that if you want..."

"Not a chance." Emery gives him a dumb look, to which he laughs at.

"Guys we're doing karaoke, choose a song!" May says, turning down the radio music. Emery widens her eyes.

"Looks like we're up." Harven drags her over to the machine and tells her to pick a song. She thinks about it before typing in a very familiar song.

The beginning of a song that Harven always played to annoy her from his room, comes on. Emery knew this must be his favorite song, and even though she hates it, she knows the lyrics.

He grins at her, when they're about to start. She shakes her head at him and holds the mic up.

They sing the entire song in sync, out of breath by the time it's over. May and Tate clap from the couches, about to make their way up for their turn. Emery and Harven collapse on the couch.

"I can't believe I sang that horrible song." She breathes.

"Seemed like you liked it a lot." He laughs. She laughs too, remembering how much heart she put into the song. It was her first time doing karaoke.

"Well I've heard it for so many years thanks to you." She rolls her head over in his direction.

"Oh, you're very welcome."