| Four

EMERY TRUDGES across her yard and into her neighbor's, determined to set ground rules for their insane plan that will definitely not work.

Yesterday, after the thing (best forgotten), Emery met a waiting May on the bench, looking frantic, probably wondering why Emery had taken a detour.

Emery decided against explaining the situation to her friend, to avoid pity. She didn't want any back rubs or hugs, she just wanted to forget about everything, including the jerk that is Ethan.

Obviously, May, being her best friend since literal birth, noticed how off she was, whether she admitted it or not. But, she left it alone, letting Emery deal with it as she likes.

No, and Emery wanted to make this clear, I did not cry myself to sleep.

Today, she knocks on the devil's door. Harven's dad answers, welcoming her in with a smile. She gladly steps onto the hardwood floors.

Harven's dad has always loved Emery, since they were little. She made him a snowflake cutout once, and being the sentimental man he is, Mr. Aller treats her like a daughter. It was unfortunate that his son was you know, himself.

"What brings you here, Emery?" The man places hands on his hips, a slight belly peaking under his shirt. His bushy mustache covers most of his top lip.

"I'm just here to talk to Harven. Turn over a new leaf." She smiled. However this was not true, she wasn't turning anything, they were simply working together temporarily.

His face fills with joy at the concept, "That's swell. He's just up in his den, go on." Mr. Aller swats a hand towards the upstairs. Emery climbs the stairs slowly, not wanting to enter his room. He had trapped her under a pillow once. That was the last time she went in there.

She knocks quickly, three times. Harven peaks his head through to see the visitor. When he sees Emery, he swings the door open.

"Girlfriend!" He exclaims, knowing exactly which reaction he would get.

Emery gasps, shoving him into the room and closing the door.

"You can't do that! Your dad will hear, dummy." She huffs.

He looks confused. "And..."

"Of course our family can't know, it's not real. That would be lying. And we're neighbors." She rolls her eyes. He nods slowly, agreeing.

"So, why are you here?" He asks.

"We need some boundaries, you know to keep some of my dignity." She responds, sitting at his desk. He splays out on the floor, just drops.

"Okay, lay it down."

"Ew don't say that."

"Why?"

She glares at him, already over this plan. He widens his eyes, surrendering with his hands up.

Emery proceeds to take her laptop out of her satchel and place it, facing Harven's bed, on his desk.

"I made a PowerPoint." She turns around, straight face.

"You made a-a PowerPoint?" Harven's smirk grows, until it's basically laughter.

She furrows her eyebrows, "Yes, what about it?" She's genuinely confused because this just keeps her thoughts in order.

He shakes his head, answering with silence.

She clicks the first slide, pointing with her nail. "Number one: No matter how real we act like this is, you can not kiss me. By any means."

"Wasn't planning on it. Unless-"

"Great! We agree," She clicks over, "Number two: I can quit whenever you get too annoying." Emery smiles.

"Hey! What if you get annoying?" He asks.

She rolls her eyes over to him. "I don't do anything to you, Harven." She says.

He thinks about it, "You're right, you're pretty boring." He shrugs.

"Exactly what I mean." Emery mutters, too quiet for Harven to hear.

"Last rule: You can't get with anybody else, even if we're not actually dating. This is obvious because then it wouldn't look real and I would look like an idiot." She says. Harven can't help but notice the hurt in her eyes, remembering what happened on festival day.

"Yep. So you'll be on your way. Your killing the mood in my room with all your Emery-ness." He looks up.

"Gladly, but you need to sign the contract. I can't really trust your word, no offense." She takes a breath, giving him the handwritten contract with their three rules.

"Jeez Emery, this was supposed to be fun." He rolls his eyes.

"No, no it wasn't. This is simply a relevant alliance. We're not like...friends." She crews up her face.

"Oh not at all, why would you even say that?" He looks pained.

"You're right." She takes the now signed contract, which makes everything set in stone. She hopes that this will be something she can trust, who breaks a contract?

Collecting her computer and satchel, she leaves without another word. She crosses the yard in two minutes, running up to her room and letting her weight collapse on the bed.

She thinks about the mess she's getting herself into. It's nothing like Emery to make impulsive decisions, but everything like Harven. How had he convinced her? Maybe she just wants to make Ethan jealous more than she thinks.

Oh, some important information: Ethan loathes Harven. Emery never learned the reason why exactly, but he can't stand him. I mean Harven does have this thing where he can pretty much piss off anyone, but it seems to go deeper than some annoying jokes.

Tomorrow's back to school, which means it's time for Emery and Harven to get into their roles.