| Twenty-five

WHEN SHE got back to her house later in the day, she realized that Kade must of come and gone hours ago. Though, her excuse is enough of an explanation, she thinks.

Emery's glad to that her parents aren't home when she returns, wanting a break from looking at her inevitable reality. She's never liked the pity questions or apologies.

She decides to play some violin, something that always calms her down, and it does. Emery plays until her arms are sore, and retreats into her own bed, which is not as soft or warm as Harven's, she thinks.

Emery falls asleep, not knowing anymore what's real or fake, but comfortable being on the fine line.

______________

When Emery wakes on Sunday, her head is pounding. She's feeling stuffy, and barely wants to get out of her bed. She has coughing fits here and there, but doesn't think anything serious of it.

It's too cold, and she stays in her bed all day.

______________

On Monday, Emery throws up first thing in the morning. She hasn't even eaten yet, but gets rid of the small amount of contents in her stomach.

She sits in the bathroom, waiting for the next fit. Her parents are at work and her friends are at school. Her coughs are more severe than yesterday's.

Eventually, she finds herself collapsing on top of her blankets, falling asleep shivering and weak.

When she begins to wake up, there's something soft rubbing against her cheek. Her eyes open, and Harven is there, tracing something on her skin. He stops when he sees her eyes flutter open.

"Hey, you weren't at school today." Harven frowns, checking her forehead with the back of his hand. He furrows his brows at the hot temperature. She lazily moves her head away.

"Yeah, I don't feel well." She breathes. She's still shivering over all of her covers. He sees and lifts her up to put them over her. Warmth welcomes her.

"Can I get you something? Have you eaten?" Harven asks.

"No, I don't wanna eat." She shakes her head.

"You need to. Would a smoothie be better?" He asks, starting to get up.

"No, Harven, you can go. You don't have to take care of me, I'll be fine." She pulls her blankets up.

"Well, I feel like I should. So. Food or smoothie? He cocked his head. She stares at him, until she groans.

"Smoothie, please." She finishes. He nods once, satisfied, and heads down to the kitchen to make a simple strawberry and banana smoothie for Emery. He has minimal trouble getting the beverage, and slips a straw in.

Harven returns, sitting on the edge of the mattress with the drink. Emery sits up and tiredly takes the pink substance from him. He watches to makes sure she doesn't drop it out of exhaustion. Emery hands it back and falls back into the pillow, cold.

He laughs, getting back up.

"No, don't go yet. Too cold..." Emery pulls Harven down on the bed, almost making him drop the cup. He swiftly places it on her bedside table before tumbling down on the bed.

He laughs, letting her sidle up beside him, and hide her cold nose in his chest. He doesn't think about getting sick, and just lays still. He thinks it fine, if this will help her get better.

Soon, her mom comes in, shocked to see Harven and her together. He can't seem to think of anything to say in the moment. He just looks at her.

She smiles, leaving, and shutting the door back.

A Mother always knows, and now, one just witnessed a very raw truth.