Prologue

Shikamaru had Temari in checkmate, there was no way she could win. As much as she struggled, he had a tight hold on her with his shadow possession jutsu.

Even though he had a guaranteed win, Shikamaru was hesitant to make the final move. He didn't know this girl at all, yet he felt a connection, a feeling in his chest that made him raise his hand.

"I give up"

. . .

Tayuya lunged toward Shikamaru, kunai in hand ready to stab him when a powerful gust of wind blew her away. Tayuya caught herself and held on to a tree, glaring at the newcomer, "Who are you?!"

A golden haired girl with a Suna head band around her neck landed gracefully on the branch Shikamaru was bracing himself on. She smirked at the red head, "Allies of the leaf village. We're shinobi of the sand!"

Shikamaru turned to Temari, his head spun in relief, "I had heard something about how our village had finally made up with you traitors."
His voice was cold even though he was glad to see the pretty blonde, then his voice softened as he added, "but I didn't expect you to change sides so quickly."

Temari didn't look back at him, instead she kept an eye on Tayuya, "it's not like we just attacked the leaf for kicks ya know. We were following orders." She turned her head slightly to glance at Shikamaru, "That's all, just like we're doing on this mission."

Shikamaru grunted approvingly, 'I get it, the fifth hokage sent them, she saved our butts'.

They both turned back to Tayuya who was now standing on a branch just ahead of them. "By the way, you seem a lot dumber than the last time our paths crossed." Temari teased.

"Huh?!" Shikamaru turned to her in surprise. She smirked, "hm" and he grunted in annoyance. Temari felt a hint of satisfaction from his response and continued teasing him, "so are you going to give up again this time? Go ahead, I'll take care of this for you!"

"Well I'm sorry to disappoint ya, but I'm not about to give up and besides a real man doesn't let a woman do his fighting for him."

Temari let out a short chuckle, "Still being all macho with the man and woman stuff?" She started walking away from him towards Tayuya, "you talk tough but I know it's just an act, idiot." She drew her giant fan, readying for an attack.

"So this time you're on the leaf's side, huh? You guys are all over the place aren't ya?" Tayuya brought her flute to her mouth and started to play.

"The sound of the flute summons her genjutsu." Shikamaru warned.

"I got it"

Temari drew her fan back, "Cyclone scythe jutsu" she whipped the fan across her body sending a huge gust of wind flying towards Tayuya. It sliced multiple trees and the flute, knocking the red head backwards.

The fight carried on for a while until Temari finished it off with the biggest gust of wind yet. Most of the forest was destroyed and Tayuya was crushed by a huge tree.

Temari folded her fan, "how was that? It's finished."

Shikamaru stared at her in shock, 'she doesn't mess around, she's as subtle as a rhino. She might be scarier than my mom."

Temari turned around and smirked confidently, "pretty good, huh." Shikamaru smiled softly in bemusement, 'oh well, this time I should be grateful she's so scary.'

. . .

Temari had just rejected the reanimated Daimaru's confession of his love for her when Matsuri started talking. "There's someone that Temari already likes you know."

"Ya, she's into man!" Yukata agreed

"Ughhhhh I should have known!" Daimaru exclaimed.

Temari turned around to look at the two girls, "What are you talking about?! There's no one that I like!"

Daimaru plopped down on the ground in frustration, "just make this snappy."

. . .