Chapter 28

Another clap of thunder rattles the house, squeezing my eyes shut I wait for the tension to leave my body. As a little kid I was terrified of thunderstorms but thankfully I grew out of it, which confuses me why I'm so troubled tonight. It doesn't help that I need to sneak out of not only the house but the pack. My heart is beating so hard in my chest, and every time I catch the lighting strike through the window limbs seize up.

After calming Victoria down and insisting that I would handle everything we went back into the living room pretending like nothing happened. Thankfully everyone was too preoccupied with Troy's birthday to notice the slight shift in my mood. The rest of the evening went by way too fast for me, and the weight of the note in my pocket grew heavier with each passing second.

Quentin offered a room in the pack house for anyone that didn't want to make the late trip back home, but I could see the uneasiness that came with the thought of leaving their packs by themselves for any longer. I insisted Jasper stay for the night because based on the dark circles under his eyes he hasn't gotten a good nights sleep in a few days. In the end Jasper was stubborn and left shortly after my family promising that he would call me tomorrow.

Now I lay in bed wide awake watching the lighting flash through the window while Quentin snores lightly from behind me, his arms wrapped securely around my waist keeping me flush against his bare chest. I mulled over my options all night, and ultimately decided not to tell Quentin about the note. Whoever gave it to Victoria insisted that I was the only person who could do this, and for an unknown reason I trust this stranger.

I carefully lift Quentin's arm off of me slipping out of bed and tip toeing into the bathroom, quietly shutting the door behind me. Earlier I snuck some clothes into the bathroom and hid them at the bottom of one of the drawers. Luckily the window in the bathroom is large enough for me to climb out of, so all I need to worry about is Quentin waking up before I make it out of the territory.

Learning from my past mistakes I scribble out a short note explaining that I'll be back soon and to not worry. I don't want to give too much details because of how adamant this mystery rogue was that I was to only one to know about this. Changing out of my pajamas I slip on the black pants, hoodie, and boots. The storm clouds will provide me enough cover, but it's getting past patrols that will be the real challenge. I have about a minute time frame to slip across the border during the shift change, and even than it's getting out of sight before the new warriors takes over.

Hoisting myself onto the window sill I check to make sure the coast is clear before sliding my legs out first until I'm dangling from open second story window. I let go feeling the rush of air as I fall to the ground rolling as I land to ensure I don't break any bones, and wait a few moments to make sure I didn't wake Quentin up. I sigh in relief after hearing nothing other than the rumbles of thunder echoing through the trees.

Pulling my hood over my head, I sprint off into the forrest heading for the western border while making sure to stray from the trails so I don't run into any warriors. I have to be extremely careful because if I get caught by any of the warriors they won't be able to stop me, but they will notify Carl who will make sure I don't get too far. I know he hates when I run off without telling anybody, but if it'll help save an entire pack of innocent people than it's worth pissing him off.

I hide behind a large tree trunk while watching the few warriors stationed to run the parameter shift back into their human forms readying to switch with the next group. The rain continues to pour concealing most scents, which is the only reason I'm going to be able to sneak out undetected. Whoever wrote that note methodically thought out each aspect of the plan, so much so that it makes me wonder how they would know how to consider these things.