Chapter 1

You followed Runningnose back from the forest.  Brokenstar had made your brother a warrior, B/N.  You were happy for him, but he was only 5 moons old at the time.  Now you and your littermate were 9 moons old and you still weren't a warrior.  It was probably because of your choice to become a medicine cat apprentice that Brokenstar didn't think you deserved a warrior name, but it didn't matter.  In times before Brokenstar, cats didn't get their warrior name until they were 12 moons of age.  Your brother and his mate, BM/N (Brother's Mate's Name), were going to be parents soon.  Runningnose was worrying about BM/N, since she was only 7 moons old.  This was all Brokenstar's fault.  B/n's mate would probably die because she thought she was a warrior, but she was truely only the age of an apprentice.

    Suddenly, Runningnose froze.  "Shh."

    "ThunderClan attack!" you heard a cat yowl.  You whipped around and bounded back to camp to see ThunderClan cats in the camp.

    Traitor!  The black tom was fighting on ThunderClan's side!  Runningnose grabbed you by your scruff and dragged you a bush.

    "Shh," he warned again.

    You watched as the cats fought.  After a while, Brokenstar and his followers left.  F/N was gone with him.  You sighed, your tail drooping.  Your father left to follow Brokenstar.  The camp was battered and B/N was badly injured.  You ran up to him.

    "B/N! Are you okay?" you gasped, sniffing him for wounds.

    He coughed.  "Yeah.  I'm kinda glad Brokenstar's gone now, k'now?  No more training with claws out, I hope."

    Runningnose lept on to the Shade Rock to appoint the new leader.  He chose Nightpelt, the old black tom.  You sighed, thinking his choice was stupid.  What about M/N?  She was a strong warrior, and she'd lead the Clan well.  Stumpytail, Wetfoot, and Darkflower were all better choices than him too.  Nightpelt better get his nine lives soon before he turns to dust, you thought, snickering to yourself.

    "Hush, A/N," Ashfur, the elder, hissed.  The grey tom got on your nerves alot, and you didn't like him much.

    Nightpelt chose Cinderfur, another old prune, for deputy.  You rolled your eyes.  Older cats always think the young cats are so bad at everything that they can't even lead!  What happens when the deputy and leader have aching joints and gray muzzles?

    You silently wished that M/N had been chosen as leader or deputy.  She was a good age for a deputy.  She would live for many more moons to come.  Runningnose is kind of stupid.

    The full moon shone ahead as Nightpelt led the cats into the clearing.  He still hadn't recieved his nine lives or name, and you suspected you'd probably be a full medicine cat before he did.  Stupid elder.

    As the cats began socialising in the hollow, you noticed a dark brown tabby tom.  He was massive, with long fur and orangey-amber eyes.  He was muscular and battle scarred, and he held his head high and strutted like he was king.  It was the ThunderClan deputy.  He's amazing! you thought, observing his sleek, handsome fur.  His muscles pulsed beneath his pelt as he walked, and you suddenly realised he was walking toward you.

    His scarred muzzle parted to meow a greeting.  "Hello."

    "H- hi," you stammered.  What was I thinking?  That sounded so dumb!

    He chuckled.  "The moonlight looks nice on your fur."

    You gave your chest fur a few embarressed licks.  "Thanks."

    "You seem kind of shy," he observed.  He leaned toward you.  "What's your name, beautiful?"

    "I- I'm A/N," you mewed quietly.

    "A/N. . .  I like that name.  So your an apprentice, eh?  I haven't seen you at gatherings before."

    "I usually stay in camp.  I'm Runningnose's apprentice," you replied, looking down at your paws bashfully.

    "I see. . .  Medicine she-cats always seem to be the prettiest.  What a shame you're not a ThunderClan warrior," he purred.  "If you were a ThunderClan warrior, you could share a nest with me, in the warriors' den, and we could share prey, and go for walks together."

    "Th- that'd be cool, but I wouldn't leave ShadowClan," you whispered.

    "Ah, A/N, a loyal and pretty she-cat."  He tapped your forehead with his nose.  "It seems to good to be true.  Tell me, kitty, what would things be like if I was in ShadowClan, with you?"

    You felt your pelt heat up with embarressment.  "T- Tigerclaw, I'm still a m- medicine cat apprentice. . ."

    "Oh but does that really matter?  A pretty little dove like you deserves love, no matter what her rank is.  Apprentice, medicine cat apprentice, doesn't matter."

    "But don't you have a mate?" you asked.

    He shrugged.  "Not really.  Sometimes toms have kits with she-cats just so they have kits to live on after them.  Goldenflower's old mate isn't with her anymore, is he?  She just likes raising kits, and I want my bloodline to be continued.  What about you?  Would you actually love me?"

    You gazed into his charming amber gaze.  "M- maybe.  If you were ShadowClan, that is."

    "Ah, I see."  He stood up.  "It was nice meeting you, A/N, but the gathering starts soon and I need to go sit with the other deputies."

    "B- bye Tigerclaw," you mewed before trotting over to your mentor, Runningnose.  As the gathering began, you didn't really even notice what went on, you were too busy thinking of Tigerclaw.

    I wish I could be with him, you thought, imagining sitting by the river with him, watching the fish swim by.  That would be amazing.