Chapter 7

You hopped alongside him back to camp.  You placed the herbs in Runningnose's den, but he was nowhere to be seen.  The poor tom was so busy. . .  The gathering was here tomorrow and yet there was still no leader.  The ShadowClan cats were shamed to be as weak as they seemed now, and you burned with rage when you thought of the other Clans.  If this was the night you'd met Tigerclaw, you wouldn't have spoken to him because he was in ThunderClan, not ShadowClan.  All of the other Clans seemed so resentful towards the Clan of Shadows and Secrets, but maybe it was just because they were scared, or envious.

    "Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather for a meeting," Runningnose called.  You followed Tigerclaw into the clearing and listened closely as the medicine cat addressed the issue of having no leader.  Cats hissed and complained, turning their anger on the medicine cat for not choosing sooner, and you felt rage build up inside you.  Those ungreatful rat-faces!

    Suddenly, Runningnose froze.  He stared at a glint by the foot of the rock he perched apon.  He lept down and stared closer.  "It's a claw!" he gasped.  "Has any cat lost a claw today?"

    The cats shook their head and Runningnose pushed it into the open so the Clan could see it.  "Look, " he whispered.  "The moon has cast shadows on it.  Not shadows, stripes."  He looked at Tigerclaw in astonishment and you felt your paws tingle.  "Stripes like a tiger's pelt"

    "It's a sign!" you heard a cat gasp.

    "StarClan has chosen our new leader!" another voice chimed.

    Runningnose said something in a hushed tone to Tigerclaw, and he replied in a whisper.  You felt dizzy with excitement.  StarClan had chosen him as leader!

    Tigerclaw and Runningnose stood face to face.  The medicine tom meowed to him as he bowed his head: "Will you do us the honour of leading us, Tigerclaw?  StarClan has spoken, and it has chosen you."

    "And we choose you too!" Boulder chimed, and you couldn't agree more, Tigerclaw would be the best leader to come of ShadowClan!  "You have led us out of the darkness after Nightstar's death, and shown us how to be strong again!"

    Tigerclaw dipped his head.  "I am stunned by the descision of our anscestors," he meowed.  "I came late to ShadowClan, though I hope no cat would question my loyalty to each one of you.  I never looked for this.  If you're sure, and StarClan has spoken, then I can only say yes."

    You purred loudly.  "Hail the new ShadowClan leader!" you yowled alongside Runningnose.  Other cats joined in with congratulations and cheers.  Tigerclaw cast an affectionate glance your way.

    He spoke to Jaggedtooth for a moment.  He sprang onto the rock and the cats cheered his name.  They fell silent as he announced the new deputy, Blackfoot.

      This is awesome!