Chapter 6: Apples and a burning feeling

Rory was glad she had insisted on jackets. Fall in Stars Hollow could certainly be cold. She listened to her daughter laugh and giggle with her father. It just seemed so natural, and it sort of pained her that she had kept this from the man she had loved. She could see in his eyes that he was totally and completely falling for Celia. She just hoped he didn't grow to hate her in the process. Celia demanded to be lifted in the air between the both of them, so that was how they arrived at the diner: mother, daughter, father holding hands, daughter swinging monkey style.

Celia ran to the bar and pulled herself up onto one of the stools.

"Hi Cesar!"

"Hey there, kiddo," he smiled,"you were just in here!"

"I was, but Mommy and Logan are hungry. Can I have apples?"

"Sure thing, with peanut butter, right?"

"Yup," Celia nodded.

"Can I get some of those too?" Asked Kirk from a corner. "No," replied Cesar without missing a beat.

"Luke keeps a stash of them just for her," Rory explained to Logan, noting the confused look on his face. He just laughed.

"And for you guys?" Cesar said, looking to him and Rory.

"I'll have a cheeseburger Cesar, thanks", Rory said.

"Turkey sandwich?"Logan asked.

"With mustard or without? Cheddar or Swiss?"

"With mustard, swiss, please," Logan said.

Rory and him sat down as Cesar went to grab their orders. Rory pulled out a coloring purse and a set of crayons from the depths of her purse, and handed them to Celia, who beamed at her.

"Do you like to draw Celia?" Logan tried.

"I like crayons and paint."

Rory laughed. "Oh yeah! When she was three she tried to fingerpaint mom's floor. It took me a week to get all the handprints off."

She squeezed her daughter's shoulders.

"And what's your birthday?"

"April 14th."

Logan smiled and then frowned- the dates didn't add up.

"Rory..."

She could tell what he was thinking.

"She was 6 weeks early."

6 weeks? That didn't sound right. No, that was too much time.

"Is she...-"

"She's fine logan." Rory said firmly, giving a look that clearly meant we will talk about this later.

The door behind them jingled and Steve Kim ran in.

"Aunt Ror? Momma says that CC can come with us to baseball practice if she wants and you say yes."

"Yes!" Cried Celia excitedly.

"Alright sure, just have your mom call me when you guys are on your way back, okay? Wait Celie! Your apples!(Cesar had just handed them to her in a bag, having overheard the conversation). Have fun baby, and share the snacks you guys!".

The two kids ran out the door.

Rory turned back to Logan, who had a weird look on his face.

"What?"

He grinned. "Oh nothing, it's just you went full on mom in like 3 seconds. Don't forget your apples? Who are you and what have you done with the Rory Gilmore I know?"