Chapter 9: Cinnamon Krav Maga

Rory pulled Logan into a hug. The three of them had spent the day together. Celia was completely taken by her father, and vice-versa. Everything had fallen into place. Despite it's interesting start she didn't think she could have asked for a better way to have told Celia. Finn had come through, even if he was going to be told off next time "Mother" saw him. Logan was Logan. He was charming and kind, and always gorgeous. Throughout the day she had realized how happy he had made her, and she wouldn't admit it, but it scared her. Now it was the end of the day. They had had Indian food, a gift to Lorelai, and Celia was now conked out in her room. As Logan hugged her back she realized how lucky she was. He smelled just as good as he always did. Like sandalwood and mint. Her breath caught, she knew she wanted him. But not yet. She could wait. They separated like two pieces of construction paper glued with elmers and then pulled apart by tiny hands. Logan brushed his fingers under her hair and gently kissed her goodnight, before turning and setting up his couch. She smiled at him and started up the stairs. She made it into bed but stared at the ceiling. She was exhausted, but she couldn't sleep. She couldn't stop thinking about him. He had been sleeping below her all week, but today had been different. She felt different. Rory sighed. She counted sheep, she planned her next article, and tapped lightly in her socks. Nothing worked. It was time for desperate measures: warm milk.

She made her way downstairs, quietly, and flipped the light. She started to heat her milk and pulled out the cinnamon. She started humming "Ophelia" and didn't notice Logan walk sleepily in. He put his hand on her shoulder, meaning to massage her back, but instead she shrieked and flipped around, a cinnamon shaker raised as a weapon.

"Whoa Ace! It's just me! Save the cinnamon for someone who deserves it!" he joked.

Rory rubbed her temple and set the shaker down.

"I'm heating up some milk, want some?"

"Sure," Logan said, grabbing a mug.

They sat at the table in silence, sipping, and thinking. Somehow, today it seemed like they loved each other more than yesterday, and it was getting harder to fight it.

"Ace, what do you think of me getting Celie a dog? Something small?" Logan questioned.

"A dog?"

"Yeah, I've always wanted one, and she really loves them"

It was true. She had been obsessing over them for ages, the Clifford and Biscuit books were her favorite.

"Our apartment building doesn't allow pets." She turned down his offer.

Logan's eyes met hers.

"Mine does."

Rory swallowed.

What was he asking? Did he want them there, with him? Or just Celie? Or did he just mean he would keep the dog there?

"I don't know how to respond to that. What are you saying?"

"I'm saying...that I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to you coming, and I dunno, staying, for a while, or a few days. I guess." Logan stumbled.

Rory stared at him. What was going on in his head?

"Both of you." he added.

For some reason, she blushed.

"Um. Yeah, I mean sure...Thanksgiving is coming up, maybe we could do something then? Or after Celie could come and stay with you..."she trailed off, noting Logan's frown.The door to Rory's old room opening caused both to swivel their heads.

"Can I have some milk mommy?" Celia asked, climbing onto her mother's lap.

Without waiting for an answer she pulled the mug toward herself and sipped. Rory smiled and tickled her daughter's stomach playfully causing her to giggle and drip milk. Logan laughed at the sight of them.

"What would you say to maybe staying with me for a few days, both you and your mom. I have a pool in my building..." Logan coaxed. "And then maybe we can consider the future" he added, solely for Rory's benefit and meeting her eyes.

She swallowed again. "Logan... -"

"Yes!" Celia interrupted excitedly!

"You don't have to invite me you know," she continued," and really, we are fine in our apartment, so can we put a hold on the changes? Just- Just take Celie, and then we can both figure out what we want. I mean I know we said we would try but aren't you...." she ended. She didn't know how to finish.

But Logan knew what she meant. "You're scared of losing what we have here." He realized.

She nodded, confirmation he hadn't really needed.

"Rory, I know what I want. I want you, and I want Celia, and I want a dog. This past week has been amazing, but Luke and Lorelai are coming home soon, so we have to figure out where that leaves us."

Rory sighed. She knew he was right.

"Ace, you do want this?" Logan asked worriedly. He had made himself vulnerable, and she had already said she wanted to try with him. But was she having second thoughts?

She smiled at him.

"I want it more than anything in the world."

Celia was over this conversation. "I'm going to bed! You guys are boring." She informed them.

That was their cue. Rory tucked Celia in, then took their mugs and placed them in the sink. Logan plopped back on the couch. Rory started up the stairs, but stopped, and turned.

"Logan? (He sat up)ummmm...Would you...maybe...want to sleep upstairs?" She stammered.

"With you?"

"With me," she confirmed.

She could see his eyes slide to her old room where their daughter was sleeping.

"Ace," he started, but she cut him off.

"No, that's okay. I actually didn't mean it like that, I just thought it might...I dunno, help us fall asleep I guess, but no, no you're right. I shouldn't have said anything." She rushed. She was upstairs and in bed within 10 seconds.

She laid in her comfy queen size. Lord that had been humiliating. Why on earth had she said anything? She groaned aloud.

Someone knocked on her door, and Logan walked in. Rory turned over on her side. "Sorry." She mumbled. He didn't say anything, he just pulled the covers up and laid on his side next to her, and put one arm over her protectively. She turned over and faced him. She hadn't meant to, but suddenly her lips were on his. She pulled away, her face steadily reddening. "Sorry." She said again. Logan just grinned and kissed her again. He pulled her head onto his chest. As suddenly as the kiss, her eyes started to well as she realized how much time she had lost with him. But she fought them back. He was here now. They had a beautiful daughter. They would make it work. They fell asleep against each other, like that. Rory absorbed all the warmth Logan had brought, and had a new pillow. Logan counted each breath she drew as a sort of ASMR. He couldn't believe how lucky he was.

Somehow that night felt more intimate than any they had ever shared before.

What did you guys think of this? I wasn't quite sure how to write it, so I hope I did the characters justice! As always, constructive criticisms are always welcome, or even just opinions and thoughts! And, if you have the inclination, please vote! I apologize for not getting these out sooner, July is just a crazy month for me. It will probably stay crazy till the end of the month - 12 more days till I am 16!

Hope you guys are all doing okay with this crazy time right now. Hopefully reading and writing is bringing everybody some much needed solace.