Chapter 13: The redhead gave it away

Logan and Finn sat across from each other, and for a minute neither dared to speak. Then Finn broke the silence.

"I am so so sorry mate. I should have told you."

Logan sighed. "No, you shouldn't have, you were just respecting Rory's wishes."

"No! You're my best mate. It was a definite break of the code. You were right, I could have hinted, or convinced Rory or something." He shook his head helplessly. "If I am being completely honest, it just never seemed like the right time."

Logan sat back in his chair. This was a hard pill to swallow, but he had to admit: "I get that. I was horrible wasn't I? To her and Odette. I was lucky they both forgave me. I don't want to be that guy anymore. I don't- well I hope I'm not him anymore."

"You're not," Finn assured him, "you haven't been that guy for a while. You just needed to find a way to still be Logan Huntzberger the guy we all know and love while under daddy's thumb. And you have, and you're a better man because of it." He paused. "You're a better father to the bean- Celia."

Logan smiled gratefully. He hated to admit it, but Finn's opinion mattered a lot to him. "Why do you always call her that? 'Bean'?"

Finn laughed, "When she was little she never stopped moving. She was always crawling and dancing- you'd think she was a natural Hula girl with the way her hips swayed. Then  one day I compared her to a Mexican jumping bean and the bean part just kind of stuck. She's been the bean ever since."

Logan smiled genuinely, but wistfully. He was glad someone had been there to witness and christen her, he just wished it had been him.

Finn noticed the frustration that fringed his friend's eyes.

"I think I have some videos and pictures...do you want to see?" He offered. They watched them together, and Logan got to see his daughter stumble through her first week of walking, babble incoherently, spit up, swing on a playground, accept food from a tired and frustrated Rory, and sleep soundly on her asleep mother's chest. Maybe the videos and memories should have made him jealous but they didn't. These weren't like the videos and pictures Rory had shown him - the kind a mother would take, nor were they the kind Lorelai and Luke had shown him. They were more like the ones Jess had sent. Candid, funny, proud. They were the photos' of uncles and old friends. Family but not fathers. That was still his role. He had never been replaced, and he had the chance to take those photos, the ones a father would want, the kind to be kept in his wallet. He was here now, and that was all he needed.

"How do you think Herr Huntzberger will take this?" Finn asked, snapping Logan from his thoughts.

"How far should we keep Rory and Celia from them? Should we take them to Honor's?

"Honor's here?" Logan said, surprised.

"She came a bit early for Thanksgiving."

"Oh. I guess that's probably best, Honor will definitely kill me if I keep her from Celia any longer. Or she'll at least hire somebody to do it for her. Maybe Josh, since they found out about baby number 3 Josh has been her slave." He remarked," But let me talk to Rory first. She's never been the type to voluntarily walk into a lion den but who knows? A lot's changed in the past 5 years. Celia should definitely stay with Honor though. Until I can guarantee the Lions will at the very least be civil I don't want her near them. They may have mellowed a bit, but I can't imagine that they'll take this well. What even is well in a situation like this, with my parents?" He laughed at himself.

"I'm sure you'll be fine. You've given them an heir connected to three of the most powerful families in Connecticut. Some of the most prominent on the East Coast in fact." Finn noted.

"Three?"

"Sure, the Huntzbergers, the Gilmores, and the Haydens- Rory's dad's family."

"Oh right, Chris, "Logan remembered, I wonder if Mitchum and Shira realized Rory was a Hayden. " Hmmmm."

"Use it." Finn tipped his glass to him.

"I will be sure to use my daughter's bloodlines as a bargaining chip." He jokingly promised, laughing.

"Well life's a game of chess right? Didn't somebody wise or famous say that?"

"Chess doesn't involve gambling or negotiation."

"Who says it can't?!" Finn argued.

Logan laughed at his friend's humor.

"Are we good then?" Finn asked carefully. "You and me?"

Logan studied him. "Yes, " he decided, "but only because I know what you did."

And then he got up and left Finn looking struck.

"No Logan wait!"

Now everybody's eyes were on them again but he really didn't care. He pulled him to the very back of the plane. There was no way Logan could know. Finn himself hadn't told anyone.

"What exactly are you referring to?"

Logan arched his eyebrows.

"The party Finn. The one where Honor saw Rory. And Celia. I know you were there too, which struck me as odd considering how much you hate those kinds of things. They never serve decent scotch. It's always light wines and champagne. Nothing suitable for your alcohol tolerance. And then Rory and Honor were seated at the same table."

" Coincidence!" Finn scoffed, "What could I have had to do with that?"

"I also know," Logan continued," that the pretty thing in charge of the guest list and seating arrangements was a redhead. Megan, was it?"

He smirked and sipped his drink.

Finn gulped, then groaned and rubbed his temple. He had been so careful. Curse Logan for knowing him so well!

"You can't tell Rory Log, please. She'll go ballistic. Please. She's one of my best friends and I don't want to lose her. Not for this! You both needed the chance, but all she will see is that I betrayed her."

Logan looked him in the eye.

"I think you're underestimating Rory, but I won't tell her. You're a good friend Finn." Logan tipped his imaginary hat to him and went to sit by the lady he loved, who was just getting off the phone and enjoying their daughter's antics. Eventually Finn came and sat with the rest of them.