23- take on the world

___________________ARIA'S POV- Present Day -

___________________
ARIA'S POV
- Present Day -

It's eerily quiet in the jungle apart from the buzzing of bugs and our footsteps.

We've been walking through the trees and low lying branches for a little while now. I've been trailing behind Finnick, watching his back for any threats. I'm not gonna let anyone touch a hand on him.

Something that I can't seem to stop thinking about is Enobaria. I wouldn't be surprised if she came after me, but doesn't she have other priorities other than avenging her dead District partner? Maybe something like winning?

I mean killing me would be a step closer to winning but if she purely comes after me for revenge then that's a little clouded. She reminds me so much of Brutus and his ongoing hate for me. He stopped at nothing to kill me but I had a bit of that fire I couldn't extinguish within me too.

Either way Enobaria is just another victor in the way of Finnick winning. But something I didn't account for was Beetee, Johanna, Peeta and Katniss. They all outnumber Finnick and I, so how can I still get Finnick to win with them all being contenders in this game?

I'm left pondering and considering my options on what is the best way to make Finnick the winner of the 75th Hunger Games. I'm pulled out of my thoughts when the Panem anthem plays to show the fallen tributes.

When Brutus' face appears in the sky I just look to the floor, scratching at the rocks beneath my feet with my foot.

As bad as it sounds I did enjoy killing Brutus to an extent, but I wish I didn't have to. I don't want to be a killer but these games make you do things you never thought you would. I had to do what I had to do to survive and to be there for Finnick. There's no point dwelling on the past when I've got to worry about the task at hand.

When the anthem ends the group continues walking up the rocks and closer to the lightning tree. It takes a few more minutes before we enter a clearing where the huge tree towers over us.

"Hmm, minimal charring. It's an impressive conductor. Let's get started." Beetee admires the tree before starting to unwind the wire from it's coil.

As Beetee ties the wire around the tree I stay close by Finnick side, feeling highly on edge and nervous.

There's like this anticipation floating in the air around us. It just feels like something bad is going to happen in any passing second. My whole body is alert and ready for an oncoming attack. I'm prepared to switch into action straight away.

"Everything will be okay," Finnick suddenly comforts me.

"Something feels off Finnick, I can just feel it. I don't know what it may be but I know it's not a good feeling," I say, holding my weapon tighter by my side.

"Is it Enobaria?" He asks.

"No, but I think we should leave," I inform him by a whisper, surveying Johanna, Beetee, Katniss and Peeta carefully.