24- finnick

___________________ARIA'S POV- Present Day -

___________________
ARIA'S POV
- Present Day -

Dreadfully I follow Katniss and Johanna down the way we first came up. My feet drag but I remain ready for danger.

Why was I forced to go? I wanted to stay with Finnick so I could keep an eye on him, but here I am, trying not to slip down rocks, to put a wire in water.

I'm situated at the back of the group, making sure no one sneaks behind us. I also feel more safe and at ease because I'm able to watch over Johanna and Katniss. I don't want either of them to take advantage and bring me down.

I know I have the opportunity to take them both down being at the rear but I wouldn't be fast enough. I decide to continue with the original plan so I can get back to Finnick as soon as possible.

"Come on, I wanna put as much distance between me and this beach as possible. Frying is not how I wanna go," Johanna snorts, pushing herself up and down rocks that lay in our path.

This whole time the wire has been unravelling easily, until it doesn't.

Katniss is forced to stop when the wire resists and doesn't budge. She pulls at it a bit but the wire is stuck in place. I hook a blade of spontoon around the wire and tug at it myself, but once again it doesn't move an inch. It has to be stopped by something... or someone.

I can feel the adrenaline and fear rise inside me as I come to the realisation that someone must be here with us. And just to prove my thought the wire snaps, flinging back our way and dropping to our feet.

Someone has cut the wire!

I move forward, just spotting the head of Enobaria in the near distance. My lip curls in disgust, spontoon aimed and ready. My feet are glued to the floor, leg raring to spring forward and engage in combat. I hear Katniss grabbing an arrow from her sheath, but it's met with a thud and a loud cry.

I whip around just as Katniss hits the jungle floor harshly, groaning out. Johanna holds the coil tightly, making eye contact with me and preparing to hit my head with it so I get knocked out.  My intelligence and instincts take control before she can render me unconscious though, the sudden turn of events immediately making me chose fight over flight.

I duck, the metal coil flying where my head was. I kick outward, connecting with Johanna's exposed stomach and sending her stumbling backwards. I grab hold of the coil and throw it out of her reach before pinning her against a rock aggressively. The handle of my spontoon presses against her shoulders, keeping Johanna in place. She's lucky I'm not choking her right now.

"What do you think you're doing!" I snarl, pushing harder on her shoulders. She sneers angrily at me but soon she lets it drop and looks at me desperately.

"Shhh, Aria. This is not what you think," she tries to convince me.

"It's not what I think!?" I hiss lowly. "You just knocked Katniss out and were going to do the same to me!"