─ six

SIX

ruby wants gender equality!

THE LEAVES HAD turned vibrant shades of orange, yellow and red. It gave a beautiful, comfortable hue to the school and set the students of all ages into a buzz of excitement for the approaching holidays.

Halloween was coming up in a couple of weeks and decorations were already staring to be put up. In recent years, people had taken to dressing up, a trend introduced by the muggleborns and half-bloods with muggle backgrounds. The school did have regulation, like no cultural, ghost or creature appropriation.

Mostly, people dressed up as muggle cartoon, movie and tv show characters or sometimes as each other. Ryan Allen-Chang had a running gag of dressing up as a professor every year and the first to guess was given a prize.

This was his last year, so it could be expected that it would be great. In the past, James and Fred ( and sometimes the twins ) had dressed up as heroes. One year, Fred and James went as Luke Skywalker and Han Solo. Another year, the four of them went as Captain America, Iron Man, Thor and Nick Fury. And another, they had gone as the Beatles. They always had fun choosing their costumes and were yet to decide.

"Maybe you could 'accidentally' coordinate with Lily?" Lysander suggested. 

They had spent months trying to figure out the last costume that they'd wear at Hogwarts, but couldn't agree on anything.

"No, it'll seem forced and I don't know what she's going as anyways," James spooned some baked beans onto his breakfast plate.

"You could ask," Lysander pushed.

"No," James said firmly.

"Fine," Lysander surrendered and got up and headed over to Lily. 

James didn't think he was actually going to go through with inserting himself into their discussion, but just in case, he followed quickly behind so Lysander didn't make a fool of him.

"Hey Edwards, I have a question about Astronomy," Lysander stated.

He sat down opposite her, in between Nyah and Estelle, earning cries of annoyance from both of them when they were shoved to the side. James sighed in relief at the thought that Lysander was just bluffing.

"Yes?" Lily asked as she looked over in confusion.

"What do the stars predict that you'll dress as for Halloween?" Lysander asked. "Asking for a friend."