Chapter Seventeen

Dedicated to my lovely readers, thanks for the support🤗 I you all.

Not edited

"I like you, Zara"

Suddenly everywhere felt quite. Zara stared at Amir for a good five minutes. To say she was surprised will be an understatement. She opened her mouth to talk but it feels like something is pulling her. Did she just hear him utter the word 'Like' to her, or is it her ears that are deceiving her.

"Zara" Amir uttered breaking her out of her thoughts. Zara inhales a sharp breath, trying to compose herself.

"Are you practicing how to confess to the girl is your heart" she started, her lips curving up. Amir lunges his hands towards her but stop remembering it's inappropriate.

"I'm not practicing anything Zara, I like you"

"What?" She said mouth agape.

"Yes, I like you more than you could imagine" Amir muttered running his hands on his head. Amir is her best friend and also a brother to her, she didn't expect what she just heard.

"When did you start liking me?" She finds herself asking, taking a seat beside Sumayya.

"For as long as I could remember" he stated.

"Wow Amir, I didn't know all this while Zara is the girl you love so much" Sumayya interjected. Zara's eyes dart to Fawwaz who was standing on one position ever since typing away on his way. She wish he could raise his face so that she can see his expression but he stood on one ground without moving. She doesn't know what to say to Amir. She likes him but as a brother.

"Zara, I know you're surprised but we know everything about each other there's nothing to be afraid of" her head snapped towards him seeing the happiness on his face. Why didn't she notice this all this while?

"Can you give me some time to think about it?" She asked. Amir nodded his head with a slight smile.

"You don't have to give your answer right now. Take your time" he ushered. Zara rises from her seating position, slipping on her bag.

"Sumayya can you lock the bakery, I'll retire for the night," she said gliding to the door.

"Sure goodnight" Sumayya responded back while Amir let out a smile. Zara managed to nod before getting out with Fawwaz tailing behind her

The drive back home was quiet, no words were exchanged between her and Fawwaz. Each with his own thought. After parking the car in its respective place, Zara got down walking quietly towards the entrance. Her mind was completely clouded by Amir's words earlier not knowing when the door was being unlocked.

"You guys made me worried. You shouldn't stay late next time got it" she heard the faint voice of Aunt Myrah saying. She nodded her head in return as they entered closing the door behind her. Fawwaz is no more in sight maybe he went upstairs already.

"I've kept the leftover food in the fridge, if you're hungry you can warm it up" A yawn escape Myrah's lips. "I'll retire for the night make sure you switch off all the light" she uttered while making her way upstairs. Zara decided to rest for a bit before she also retires for the night. All the events that happened flashed in her mind from the moment they left Ma's house up to Amir's confession. So all this while he liked her. When did he start liking her? since childhood? or when. All this question only he knows the answers to them. Amir is someone close to her and also important to her but she thinks of him only as a brother. She doesn't have feelings for him. Just think about it, don't take a decision you'll regret later on. Her inner mind tells her. Snapping her eyes shot, she laid her back on the couch.