And it goes dark

A/N: self harm warning!

Sutan's POV:

I knew I had to stop being tough towards Maria, but it was a cycle I'd never get out of.

I couldn't explain it- I felt anger looking at her, sulking around the house with tears that filled her eyes. She needed to toughen up. The real world is way to brutal for you to be crying over the past all day. But I couldn't put that on her- especially when her past is so traumatic. I loved her. I was scared she would never love me again.

What kind of dad was I?

It's been a full week. I was ready to own up to what I said. Sitting at the dinner table, it was just me and her. She stared down at her food, picking at her eggs and poking at her bread. That's when I saw it- a slight drizzle of blood from her right hand. "Maria, what's that?" I asked her, slightly scared. Scared that she had hurt herself, but scared that ie as going to lose it again and break our relationship even more.

"It's just- I- it's nothing..." she took a bite of her eggs, looking extremely nervous. "Maria. What is it." I asked her one more time. She looked down, taking another bite. I couldn't take it anymore. Standing up quickly from my chair and reaching a cross the table, I pulled up her sleeves.

Cuts.

So many cuts.

It as like nothing I had ever seen- they zigzagged through each other, creating craters deep scars. Some were long, running from on end all the way to the other and some were so light the nearly cut through the skin. I could tell that they were recent- almost none had fully healed and blood was still rolling down in every direction. I covered my mouth in shock, tears falling down my face. I was getting lightheaded fast from the sudden horror- the rush of blood blurring my vision. "Maria. What have you done." She fell down to the ground, her hands trembling her whole body alarmed.

"Please." She whispered. "Don't hurt me."

I felt my body hit the ground and a scream from Maria that echoed through my head.