Chapter Seven: Life

"Yes, come in, Asman."

Asman did just that and softly let out a breath, low enough that Niallen would not be able to hear it.

Niallen was sitting at his desk once more, this time only reading a parchment instead of writing on one.

When Asman stepped inside and closed the tent once more, Niallen set the paper down and looked up.

"I have decided that, with much thought, I would like to ask you to be a Blood Guard."

"What?" Asman furrowed his brows and looked at Niallen like he was insane.

"You said if you were not a prisoner then what were you. I am asking that you be a Guard instead of a prisoner." Niallen leaned forward and stared at Asman, who was standing and could physically feel the confusion wracking his brain.

"I cannot be a Blood Guard, Niallen. I do not even know how to hold a sword or fight. It would be a very poor decision to place me amongst the others out there."

Niallen only sighed lightly and stood, walking in front of the desk and crossing his arms.

"When choosing a new Blood Guard, it is my duty to look into the person and come to a decision. The Queen trusts my opinion on the matter, and she will trust me when I say that you are, so far, qualified for the Guard. All I ask is that you trust my decision as well." Niallen spoke with a steady tone and Asman felt as if he was being drafted for a war; in a way, he supposed he was.

The larger man was staring at him with certainty while Asman could only scoff.

"You are by far the most confusing and strangest men I have ever met. How does the Queen sleep at night knowing she appointed an idiot for a Guardsmen? You have only rarely shown traits of a good leader. Why would I join you when you do such stupid things like invite a scrawny damaged Feliasian to be in the Guard?"

Asman huffed in and out gently as he finished his rant. Immediately, he regretted what he said when Niallen stood and stalked over to him.

"I would mind your tongue. My Queen spent months trying to find the right person to do this job and I should hope she sleeps soundly seeing as she was correct. I have led this Guard for nearly a decade and will not let some boy try and criticize my leadership skills." Niallen growled out, his face coming close to Asman's. "The actions I have carried out while you have been with us is only the result of me, despite your crude behavior, seeing that you have the possibility to become a great Guard. You are damaged, yes, but you have a fire in you that matches all the others out there."

Asman blanked while Niallen spoke, his face was flushed crimson as the mans face was mere inches away, his own eyes very easily dropping to the floor. He was speaking in a way that had Asman's heart thundering in his chest; not from attraction, but from the embarrassment of what Niallen was praising him for.

"You have not given me the chance to show you what a leader is, Asman. You judge me for mistakes that are only such in your mind. You need to acknowledge that your life will never be what it once was; that life ended the minute that Felias killed your brother." Niallen's voice softened only a little near the end.

Asman looked back up to Niallen's eyes the second that he mentioned his brother. His mouth was closed tight and his face scrunched.

"I will make sure that the Queen uses the information you give her well. If you wanted, you could live the rest of your days doing whatever you liked in Isadren; or you could join the Guard and guarantee that Felias is brought to justice for their crimes against your village and the others like it."