Chapter 5: Creepy, Sleazy, Slimy Scumbag

"Big spoon or little spoon?" Pam asked from across the room.

"Big spoon...." Edward replied sulkily, voice muffled from its place squished into a pillow. Pam came over and sat on the couch next to him, handing him the spoon and a small tub of peanut butter ice cream, a tub of her chocolate in her other hand. They had stopped at a local gas station on their way back from the speed dating event before going to Pam's apartment, Edward quickly flopping onto her couch with a groan as soon as they'd arrived.

 They had stopped at a local gas station on their way back from the speed dating event before going to Pam's apartment, Edward quickly flopping onto her couch with a groan as soon as they'd arrived

"You want the blanket?" She asked, flipping on a cheesy fantasy movie.

"We can share." He responded. She pulled the thick blanket over them both as the movie began, though Pam was the only one really invested in it. Edward tried, but his mind kept wandering and didn't allow him to focus on the fighting, the damsel in distress, or the handsome knight. How could he possibly pay attention to any of that when he couldn't get the feeling of NightHawks strong arms out of his head, or the way the hero looked while he was babbling, or the sound of him saying Edward's real name for the first time? He took a bite of his ice cream despondently, staring off into space. Then there was Damian, the guy who gave Edward his number one minute but then ditched him in an alley of thugs the next, and after Edward had saved him no less! He wasn't sure he wanted Damian to call him after that, even if it did get NightHawk out of his head. Edward was snapped from his thoughts when Pam shook his shoulder roughly, and he met her worried gaze with confusion.

"Are you ok?" She asked, looking him up and down, kind of like NightHawk had done earlier. Ugh, stop thinking about that!

"Why?" He questioned back rather than answer.

"Because I called your name like, four times, and you didn't even twitch. Come on, tell me what happened tonight! Were you hurt? Did Damian do something?" Her face took on an angry look that Edward knew meant that she would jump up and physically fight Damian if she felt she needed to. Honestly, Edward wouldn't stop her. He turned to his ice cream, stabbing at it with his spoon.

"No. I have superpowers, Pam; you think Damian could do anything to me? We just... almost got mugged in an alley after I went to give him my number. I whooped their butts, obviously, but Damian just ran off and ditched me. Didn't even look back, not that I care." He decided to leave out the part where NightHawk literally swept him off his feet. Clearly, Pam didn't believe that he didn't care because her expression suddenly fell, and she reached over to hug him.

"Oh, Ed, I'm sorry. Maybe you were right; maybe we shouldn't have done the dating thing. I feel like it made everything worse!" He wasn't sure how to tell her that it technically did make everything worse, so he just returned the hug, squeezing her. It wasn't her fault after all, she was just trying to help like she always did. And tonight wasn't all bad. He told her as much.

"Really?" She quirked her brow in disbelief.

"Yeah! I mean, we got free... water. That was nice." She punched him in the shoulder, laughing. Eventually, they settled back down, and Edward's mind felt just clear enough to keep up with the movie plot, watching as the knight slew the evil queen and rode off into the sunset with the maiden.