Chapter 3

There was not one, but three dead bodies lying around. A father and two sons who were out here hunting. Their rifles sprawled out on the ground as blood was splattered everywhere. Tuffs of black fur were here and there as one of them tried to beat me off the other. Humans were weak though. Their hits hardly phased me.

"Avianna, my love," I jumped to my feet, looking across the dead bodies at my husband. "They will kill you if you don't stop," his eyes looked tired.

I whimpered, taking a step forward. I will do anything to be with you again, my love.

"No. This is wrong, you need to heal Avianna," his voice held so much sadness.

I stepped forward again, and in a second, he had vanished again. My heart dropped, I winced from the physical pain I felt. Like sharp glass slowly cutting my chest from inside out. I whined, collapsing to the ground. Biting into the dirt as the pain made me feel dizzy, stars clouding my vision.

Branches crackled around as I vaguely heard many footsteps approaching fast.

"Avianna, my love" I heard my husband's voice faintly, "baby..." I heard. "Run," his voice whispered in my ears. I looked up and around, he was gone. I whined and howled as the pain pierced through my heart. Snarling I dug my teeth and claws into the ground.

He wanted me to run. I needed to run. The pain was too much. Digging my claws deeper into the ground I lifted my head and with all my might as I pushed my legs forward into a run. In two seconds, something slammed into me hard, knocking the wind out of me. I gasped, trying to gain focus. The aroma surrounding me told me they were here.

Werewolves. My blood began to boil. Another werewolf killed my mate. My heart began beating like thunder, filling my veins with rage. I pushed myself up, glancing around. I was surrounded by many wolves.

Snarling and growling, I swung around to the attacker. A large male wolf with many shades of black and silver stood dominantly. Growling, he bared his razor-sharp teeth. Ears pinned back and eyes darker than the deepest debts of the sea.

I snapped at him to get a feel for his reaction. He lunged at me and I dodged him. I could feel the other werewolves enclosing and growling. They were angry, but so was I. I ran and snapped my jaws from below the wolf, aiming straight for the jugular.

He broke my attack easily and slammed me into the ground, pinning me with his legs. His teeth sunk into my neck as I whined in pain. I could feel the tickling and heat of my blood going down my neck. The wolf was crushing me with his weight. He released his bite before going too deep to kill me. However, he kept his teeth around my neck.

I just wanted to go already. Go to be with my mate in the afterlife. I want him to kill me. I growled and snarled, snapping my jaws. Trying to provoke him to kill me. My strength did not phase his though, he hardly budged. In my upside-down view, I realized some of the wolves looked familiar. My pack? Focusing more, it was my pack. Some were not from my pack though.

"Avianna, can you hear me?" I heard a male voice.

Trying to focus on who that was. Mind linking occurred between werewolves in proximity. My alpha?

"Alpha?" I asked, confused.

I could not remember who sounded like who. I could hardly recall what he looked like.

"Yes, Avianna. Your alpha," his voice was gentle.

I felt calm, looking at the other wolves. My vision slowly clearing as my heart gained a normal beat.

"Avianna, I know you're hurting, but what you are doing cannot go on," his voice remaining gentle.

He was a good alpha. He always looked after his pack, every single wolf. My heart started feeling heavy with sadness again, like a billion bricks. He did not deserve to have me terrorizing through the streets. I killed so many innocent humans. Whimpers escaped me as the sadness weighed on me.

"I'm sorry, Alpha," was all I could say.

I could see him walking up to me. A brown a gray wolf with a lot of muscle and size to him. He laid down, his nose gently against my cheek. The strange wolf still having me pinned down. This was goodbye.

"I know you are, Avianna." He said quietly.

"I just want to be dead already," I whimpered.

"I know..." he trailed off.

"Why has he not killed me yet then?"

"Because the king wants you imprisoned. You deserve to be free of your pain, Avianna. You killed too many people though and they want justice for that," he explained.

Imprisonment for werewolves was far worse than death itself. He stood up and walked away. I watched each of his paws taking a step further from me. I growled and snapped at the wolf on top of me, I wanted him to kill me. I tried to push him and scratch him with my back legs, wiggling to lose his grip. I will fight until he kills me.