Chapter 8

I stared at my reflection in the mirror. My cheeks were sunken, eyes were dull green with bags beneath them, my hair was a tangled mess, and my skin seemed to lost all its color. I truly was lost. I barely recognized myself.

"Damnit!" I gritted, banging my fists into the mirror.

The glass shattering around the sink counter, shimmering pieces everywhere. I stared at the cracks in my reflection. A true reflection. I was broken into a million pieces. Blood dripped off my knuckles. I know he said he wouldn't come back again, but I couldn't help but feel a tinge of hope.

Nothing.

"Please, come back..." I trailed off, my heart aching.

Nothing.

"Why on earth did you do that for?" A strange man teased.

I looked at the doorway to see a built man, dark skin, dark eyes and he held a smirk as he leaned against the doorway. He had giant silver rings on almost every finger, wore a suite and very well put together. He looked handsome. Wait, what? I never found anyone attractive besides my husband.

"So, the prince's think they can save you, eh?" he asked, amusement held in his eyes.

He held an accent of a sort.

"With all due respect, I can't be saved," I replied shakily.

This guy made me feel a little uneasy. Something was off about him.

"That is what the Queen said, yet here you are, and here they are. Still trying to save you," he halfheartedly laughs.

"And who are you?" I change the subject.

This man seemed to know my business, so it's only fair.

"Name's Kyrone," he cocked his head curiously.

I sigh, "who are you to the prince's?"

"Their friend," he replied shortly.

I didn't like people who were vague with me. They always had something to hide.

"Notice, you're not a complete blood thirsty monster right now?" he asked.

Now that he asked, I realize I did seem to be able to think in a somewhat functional manner now.

"Yes."

"When you transform back to your human, the emotions process. It is possible for werewolves to live on without their mates but most fail to complete the mourning process by turning back into their human form..." he paused, "they get completely consumed by predator instinct and rage to fuel it."

"Why rage though, if I am sad?" I only knew I was angry for two reasons.

One being that he was taken away from far too soon. The second reason was that I wanted to kill whoever had murdered my husband. I guess that is a lot of anger.

"You channel all emotions into one, my dear. That is anger which fuels the fire," he looked almost thoughtful.

"How do you know so much?"

He stepped closer. In that moment I realized he smelled of something roses and... death? My heart leaped about out of my chest in that moment. Vampire. I quickly stepped back.

"Don't worry. I am not going to hurt you, after all, it was my blood that saved you're life," he smiled.

"Yo-you're blood?" I stuttered.

"It was the only way we could get you enough energy to shift," he raised his hands submissively.

This was beyond bad. Vampires and werewolves don't become friends, we were at a constant war.

"Get out," I gritted my teeth.

My heart was pounding in my ears. Vampire blood injected into a werewolf like that was like crack to a human. Black markets and under ground trades sell vampire blood to addicted werewolves. It had to be injected very specifically into our veins to have an effect.

Kyrone stared at me curiously. Not leaving but not coming forward either. I didn't know what he wanted but I wanted him gone.

"Hey, you're up!" prince Gus came in all bubbly. "I see you met Kyrone!" he smiled, nudging Kyrone on the side.

They seemed like best buds standing next to each other. The King's son and a vampire. Interesting.

"Are you hungry? There's food downstairs or I can bring some up," Prince Gus continued.

It was almost like he is completely oblivious to how on edge I was around a vampire.

"I'll eat up here, thank you. Please take Kyrone with you," irritation filled my voice.

"Uhm, sure," his smile dropped.

He finally realized I was uncomfortable with Kyrone, but he seemed disappointed? They turned without another word and disappeared out the door. What the fuck is up with these people? I sighed, sitting on the couch.

I didn't feel much anymore, just empty. Sad, cold, and empty. Lost. It was obvious my husband wouldn't make another appearance as he warned me. No amount of blood can bring him back to me. My body was feeling cold and hot at the same time. Like I was a sweating ice cube.

A knock at the door was followed by it opening.

"Hey, it's me," Prince Ezekiel poked his head in and then proceeded to come in with food on plates.

He sat down beside me offering the plate of food. Eggs and potatoes. He set down two drinks, water, and a fruit smoothie.

"Thank you," I took the food.

I ate while he just sat there in thought. The silence could be awkward, but I didn't give a shit. Once I finished, he took the plate to the sink in here and came back to sit beside me. Looking at my hand that was cut from the glass.

"Why did you do that?" He asked.

"According to Kyrone, I'm angry," I retorted.

"No. Avianna, you have some obsession with seeing blood. Why?" his tone got serious.

I wasn't sure why the question made me feel uncomfortable. Because I never told anyone? Or the fact that he called me out and I realized how crazy I have been.

"I-uhm..." I trailed off, unsure how to explain it.

Either way it was going to sound like I lost my mind. I guess I did though. I still feel lost.

"It's the only way I could see him," I whispered under my breathe, staring at the chandelier.

"Your husband?' he asked gently.

"Yeah. Every time there was blood, he would appear. Even though he begged me to stop, I kept going. Just so I can see him again," my voice shook from the sadness I felt weigh on me like a giant building.

"Did he show up again when you did that?" he gestured at my hand.

I shook my head, tears starting to form in my eyes.

"The last time I saw him he said he wouldn't appear again, and he hasn't," I started sobbing.

Holding my head in my hands, hiccups escaped as I cried harder. Releasing the pain like tsunami escaping from the ocean depths.

"I am deeply sorry, Avianna," his voice soft as he wrapped his arms around me in a hug.

His hold was soothing, calming even. I was never much of a hugger but at this moment I really think I needed it. Even though I didn't know the intentions of these brothers, they seemed very concerned about getting me out of the depths of sorrow.