Thirteen ▫ Gingerbreadman

"Goodnight baby." He kisses her temple before leaving.

   Janita goes upstairs to her room and as soon as she closes the door her phone rings.

  "Please stop calling me." She says pacing the room.
   "I can't do that Nita."

"Stop hurting my friends."
    "I can't do that either."
"Why not?"

   "How about you just answer my questions yeah?"
   "Fine."

  He hangs up the phone looking at Janita's dad who is tied to the chair. "Smile." He says snapping a picture of it and sending it to Laka before he breaks the phone in half and drops it into the fire.

   "Leave my family out of this. Please this is between me and you."
    "No, it isn't. It's between me and your ex wife." He takes the gun out of his pocket and sets it on the table.

  "And the person hurting your daughter's friends."
   "It's you-"

"No it's not. The only person I want to see in pain is," he stops himself smiling before shaking his head.
   "Nevermind. Just know it surely isn't your wife or your daughter." He walks out locking the door behind him.

   He walks out of the house and heads over to Laka's place.
   When he knocks she is quick to open the door.

   He leans against the door frame with a menacing smile on his face.
   "Hey Laka. You gonna let me in baby girl?"

    Coleman walks into his dad's office and sees the huge mess on the floor, the desk had toppled over and papers had been scattered all over the place. A window had even been broken.

   One sheet of paper had caught his attention though.
   Janita's name was written on it with a lump some of money next to it, and so was her mom's name.

    "Son. Thank god you're here." His dad limps out of the kitchen all battered up.
   "I need-"

"Why is Janita and her mom on here?" He swallows hard hating how his son had found out, that he had found out in general.

   "I can explain-"
"To me or the cops. You were gonna sell them weren't you?"
   "Sell who?" Ian comes in noticing the mess.

   "Janita and Laka."

    Drake was a wreck while giving a statement. He couldn't tell the officers that he had fled the scene. They would surely think he had something to do with it then.

   He couldn't believe that he had lost both his parents. Grateful that he was old enough to avoid foster, but devastated that he had to plan his father's funeral.

    Drake ubers to Cole's house and goes inside. His eyes widen the second he sees blood.

   "I swear to good if someone else is dead I will freak."
   "No one else is dead." Cole assures him.

  "But, now we have proof that my dad is a sex trafficker."
    "That's good to hear, well not that he's a you know. But that you can prove him guilty of course."

   "Right, but help clean this up first."
"Maybe we should keep it how it is. Say you found it this way. Didn't you?"
   "I mean, sort of"

    Laka clears her throat opening the door wider to let him in. She bites down her fears of what he wants from her. And what all he is willing to do for it.

Even though she knows what he's after. There is something buried in her keeping her from saying it aloud though.
    "My daughter is home can we please not do this now?"

"And your husband is at my place tied to a chair, with access to a fully loaded gun.  It's now or never sweetheart."

I redid the chapter Bittersweet and took out the Ian thing so pretend that never happened 😘