Fourteen ▫ Unveil

Janita tip toes out of her room to see her mom talking to a stranger.

   When he speaks she recognizes the voice and immediately goes to protect her mom.

   "Why are you talking to my mom?" She asks him as she goes to her mom's side.

   "Hey nita. It's nice of you to defend her but this isn't your fight."
Laka places her hands on Janita's shoulders.

   "Call Cole and tell him to come get you."
   "Why? Can you at least tell me what he wants?" She sighs looking at him.

   His menacing smirk made her heart taught, she never wanted this for Janita. She had put this all behind her to take care of her daughter. 

   The one person she did everything in her power to keep safe may have all been in vain if she makes the smallest mistake.

   "Go on tell her."
She sighs turning Janita towards her.
   "For senior prom your dad got drunk,"

   1998 March, 18

   Laka smiled at her reflection in the mirror, she had been excited for all the night had planned for her.

  After all, it would have been the first official date with her boyfriend Jerome.
  Her dress pattern had matched his shirt perfectly. And she was ready to show it off.

   Laka turned and walked out to show her mom.
   "Okay, you look beautiful baby let me get a picture." She grabbed the Polaroid camera and snapped a few pictures of her.

  Proud to see where she has come, proud that she is graduating in just a month from now. And ecstatic to see all the places she'll go.

   "I think he's here." Her brother says and opens the door.
  "Have her back by eight or i'mma track you down and lay these hands on ya."

   She waves him off hugging Jerome.
"Don't wait up bub." She tells her brother and her mom takes a picture of them both before they leave.

  "You look good babe."
"Thank you." She smiles but there is something hollow about his words.

  Laka decides to ignore it and gets in but then his words become slurred and he pulls a flask from his jacket.

   "What are you doing? You can't do that you are driving."
  "Shh. It's fine." He says but Laka is uneasy as he pulls off.

   She jumps when he swerves and becomes so distressed she opts out.
   "Stop the car and let me out." She says and he hits the brakes.

   "Let me drive or i'll just walk."
"No I said I got it." She shakes her head 'no' getting out and walking.

   The school had been close so it didn't take her long.

   When she got to her friends she had mentioned the little incident but didn't let it ruin her night.

    Everything was fine until Jerome had came and got her.
   "What?"

"I didn't see him coming. I swear I didn't baby."

     Present :

"But why does he want you?" Janita asks.

   "I don't. I want your dad to pay for killing my brother. Can you believe that he had threw his body in a ditch?"

  "How do you know it was him?"
"I told him." Laka says. She had felt guilty for what happened even though she didn't do anything. Just knowing it was too much.

   "I only kept your father around because I needed him to help with you."
   "But you married him."

"I did, which is why we divorced after just months together."

   Janita intakes air and sits on the stool trying to process what all is happening.

   "But who killed K.C then?"
"I don't know." The man had said it with all honesty.

   Jerome had gotten lose, but only because the man wanted him to, he also took the gun with him as he rushed to Laka's place.

   He bangs on the door momentarily before the man answers it.

   Out of fear and desperation Jerome aims the gun at him.
   "If your gonna kill me admit to killing my brother too."

"Yeah I did run him over that night. Rot in hell with him scumbag." He pulls the trigger but it clicks signaling that there are no bullets.

   "Why would I give you a loaded gun?" He shows him his badge. "It's detective Wilson by the way."

  Jerome's eyes widen as he is suddenly put in cuffs and his rights are read to him. He can't even look his daughter in the eyes as he is escorted away.

   Wilson turns and thanks Laka for her help. "Take care of yourself Janita." He says and leaves.

   "You could have mentioned a set up."
"I'm just happy his ass is going to jail." She hugs Janita.

   "I love you mom." Laka smiles hugging her tighter.
  "I love you so much hunny."
"Mom. Let me breath."
   Laka laughs letting her go. "Sorry love."

   Coleman knocks on the door and Laka opens it. "Oh I told him to come over because I have to go meet Ian." She kisses her temple.
  "Don't stay up late you have school." She scolds them on her way out.

   "You alright baby?" Cole asks her.
"Yeah. I feel somewhat better."

   "How about I get you some food?"
"Yes please." He drapes his arm over her kissing her temple.

      "Sorry i'm late." Laka apologizes and hugs him.
  "It's fine. Thank god you didn't flake on me."

   "Oh I don't have the heart to do that."
"That's relieving." He opens the door for her and they wait for a waiter.

   "I should tell you, I plan on leaving. Now you can't tell anyone else though."
   "Where to?"

"I don't know. I just need to get out of this town for sure. And I just had to thank you before I go."

    He hums watching her lips curl into a smile. She was a diamond, he was willing to cherish for as long as she'd let him.

   "Stop staring at me." Janita covers her face as it gets hot.
  "Never." Coleman says and pulls her hands away from her face so he could lean in for a kiss.

   Their lips move together freely in the privacy of his car.

   Cole grabs her waist to get her onto his lap, needing her to be closer to him.

   Her chest presses against him and she whimpers into his mouth.
  "My sweet girl. Tell me what you want angel."