STARS

Stuff We Did by Micheal Giacchino

thirty-two | Stars

ᴠɪᴇɴɴᴀ

"When I was a kid, my dad brought me out of town one day and we hiked up a mountain, he said he wanted to show me something." Sapnap whispered, his hands buried in his hair, pulling the strings of his bandana to unravel it. "It took almost the whole day, but when we reached the top of the mountain, I didn't believe what I saw."

"What did you see?" I whispered back, wondering what he could've seen.

"Adventure, freedom." A smile crossed his face as he remembered, there was a spark in his eye that was always present. I was confused, what could freedom look like? What could adventure look like?

"My dad pointed to the sky just as the moon was almost fully up, and there were these beautiful lines of color across the entire night. It was like an artist got bored and flung paint across a canvas, and made something that I could only dream of." The black-haired man turned on his side, staring at me with his amber eyes. "My dad leaned over to me and said, 'Son, there is more to this life than living. There's adventure, and there's love, and there's peace, and there's many more," Sapnap turned onto his back, and pointed to the stars glistening in the night, as if he could be the artist, as if he could paint the sky just as he described someone could. He glanced at me before telling the rest of his tale.

"So, one day when I was old enough, I packed a bag and set out to find the things that my dad said were out there. I was gone for maybe two years, maybe less maybe more, but somehow a letter found me. It was from my cousin." His voice quieted, eyes filling with an emotion I couldn't describe, though whatever it was, it wasn't strong enough to snuff out the flame in his eyes.

"What did it say Sap?" I asked carefully, staring at his profile as we laid under the stars, the grass still damp from the rain earlier this morning. Sapnap's smile dropped, but only slightly.

"My dad was sick, and there wasn't much they could do. It may have been coincidence that I was closer to my hometown, or just some sort of luck, but it was only a few days trip from home. I waited until morning the day I opened the letter, and rode a horse home." I sat up, listening to his story.

"My family lived on a farm for as long as I could remember, I'm not sure if they still own that land or not, but when I saw the fields of wheat that summer day, I knew there wasn't much time left. Dad always harvested a week before summer ended, and when I got the letter it was almost a week into fall."

"Sapnap-" The dark-haired man shook his head, and continued.

"I followed the little path that lead straight to my parents house, and it was like my entire family was there. Horses tied up to the trees, some wondering the fields, and there were people coming in and out of the house. In all my years on that farm I barely saw any of those people, but they all were family in some way, shape or form.