DAY LIGHT

twenty-eight | Day Light

ᴠɪᴇɴɴᴀ

Waking up was harder than normal today, something I was use to though, after L'Manburg was destroyed I had trouble sleeping and that made me want to sleep in when the sun came up the next day.

But L'Manburg was destroyed over a year ago, and I had more than enough time to get over the trauma it brought. Though I still find myself falling back into the battle field, seeing the destruction all over again, feeling the blood staining my hands and the tears in my eyes. Today seemed like it would be another one of those days, but I didn't have a ghost following me around back then, maybe Jschlatt will distract me.

Though, as I lay on my back staring at my ceiling, I can't force myself to move, not even when I feel the prick of a piece of paper on my side. I must have fallen asleep while looking over old photos with Schlatt. I pull the piece of paper from my bed, not caring to look at it and tossed it under the bed.

Everyday since Tommy's exile, which had been almost three weeks, Jschlatt wanted to hear the stories behind each photo I had in an old torn up box, but never asking about the ones with Dream or Sapnap which I was so grateful for. Most of the photos I don't remember taking, half of them I shouldn't have, but they were all there. And as much as I hate to admit it, I liked being reminded of the old days, back before any wars and explosions. I find it giving me peace, and I think it gave Schlatt peace as well.

"Vienna? Are you awake yet?" A low, scratchy voice says, and a head of dark hair pops into my view, horns sprouting from the sides of their head. Jschlatt floated above me, sleep evident in his eyes (I don't know how he sleeps, he is a ghost). The translucent man hovers, the brightness of his eyes dulled like before, everyday his eyes seem to loose their brightness and I couldn't be more happy for that, though it could mean something bad for in the future. But not being blinded first thing in the morning was always a good thing, at least I hoped.

I flinch as something wet lands on my forehead and I feel it run down my face, bringing my hand up to whatever it was. The tips of my fingers come back blue, like the blue that ran from the hole through Jschlatt's head, where Tommy shot the arrow that killed him. I didn't feel like waking up before, I sure as hell do now. I don't want blue staining all of my things.

"Oh! I'm sorry," Jschlatt straightens up, his own hand reaching up to the blue pouring down his forehead, acting like he could catch it before it falls on the ground or at least push it back into his skin. Another thing that happened almost everyday now, it was like Jschlatt was becoming more and more alive, or at least more so than he was. I never really realized before, but my ghostly friend couldn't touch anything for a while, I remember his hand slipping through a whiskey bottle when I first saw him, now he's able to hold things and isn't able to phase through the walls like a ghost could anymore. Like he was becoming more and more human, which scared me.

"No, it's alright, just don't get blue all over my bed or chairs. It's harder to get out of than it is the floor." I reply softly, swinging my feet over the edge of my bed and down the stairs towards the bathroom, hoping to stop my forehead from staining. Luckily, it doesn't, my night shirt however, is a different story.

There is a small line of blue down the middle of my shirt, the lighter gray shirt doesn't take the color well. At least it was a night shirt.

Hearing a soft thud upstairs, and a slight string of curses, I laugh slightly. I didn't know what the ghost was doing, but I hope he wasn't dripping blue all over my house. I hear a soft humming from outside the bathroom door, waiting on me to finish, so I quickly take care of any business I had for the morning, which included washing the sleep from my face and tying my hair back. I didn't feel like taking a shower today, I'll take one later. Probably.

Stepping out of the cold bathroom, I'm met with a familiar pair of horn, and a smile, some clothes in hand, gestured towards me. No blue stains on the dark pair of pants and pale blue sweater, the color matching Jschlatt's sweater.

"What's this?" I question, grabbing the clothes from the man with a slight smile. The former President had been doing little things like this for a few days now, some days even waking up and making breakfast, or finding me a new trinket from outside (which I didn't know when he went outside, I always see him around my house. I've actually never seen him leave). The ghost would fold my clothes when I'm too exhausted from whatever I was doing that day and put them away as well. I never expected him to be, well, like this. I was used to the drunk, politician with a crooked tie. I guess I was wrong. I finding out I was wrong about a lot of things recently.

"I was wondering if you wanted to go to L'Manburg with me? I haven't been since I got out of the void, and you seem like you need a distraction." I smile at his gesture. It was things like these that made me believe in redemption, even for people, or ghosts, like Jschlatt. The offer does surprise me though, but I guess he doesn't want to be alone for today, or just wanted me to come with him for some reason. He was a wild care, always was.

I look down at the clothes in my hand, twiddling with the sweater fabric as I answer, knowing that getting out of the house for a day would definitely make the day go faster. So I nod, and I hear a cheerful noise fill the cramped house, the noise bouncing off of the walls, contagious laughter that made a grin split across my face.

"I do need a distraction," Turning towards the stairs, I hear a small hum of agreement behind me. "Let me change and we'll go, I didn't have any plans for today anyways."

"Okay, I'll be down here. Your shoes are by the door by the way."

"Thank you ghost." I reply with a smile, slipping into the clothes the ghost picked out in my room, grabbing a small flip knife and tucking it into my pocket. I couldn't stand to be unarmed, even if it is a small knife that would break easily, it was at least something.

Tugging on a pair of socks and walking back down the stairs, I already see Jschlatt hovering by the door, my shoes in his hands, reaching out as I take them gently and slipping them on as well. The two of us leave the house with a soft smile on both of our faces, and a joke falling off of Jschlatt's lips.

One more thing that keeps reoccurring, I find myself slowly getting happier and happier by each passing day, all because of my ghostly friend, the man that ran a whole country into the dirt, and almost killed me multiple times, yet I don't find myself hating him. We were both alone after all, no one could see him, and I kept loosing the ones I loved, but we had each other now. Maybe we wouldn't feel alone for much longer, hopefully we wouldn't feel so alone.

Yeah, Maybe today wouldn't be as bad as I thought it would be. Maybe it wouldn't ever be as bad anymore.

1350 words
:)

a/n - I loved this chapter, a really laid back one and no action, but I liked it :)

Also, I'm sorry I only post at night for some of you, My sleep schedule is fucked so I should be sleeping instead of writing when I post- but I'm most productive at night so :-)