PICTURES

twenty-three | Pictures

I've walked these woods a million times, seen every branch trillions, but it never gets old

I've walked these woods a million times, seen every branch trillions, but it never gets old. Not even in the darkest of times, I still find myself trapped in the eternal beauty this forest has to offer. I would sit for hours just staring at the wonderful trees that stretch so far into the sky, it was like my own world. No ghosts, no death, no exiles.

It was just calm, and it was peaceful.

But, as the rain clouds cover over everything in sight, I don't try and find the beauty in the falling drops of water off of the drying plants. I don't care for the bird song, or the colors, it all seems dull to me as of now. It may be because of the events that occurred today, or what was waiting for me back home.

Instead of taking in the only peaceful thing in my life, I rush home with the blood red cloak clinging to my armor, the rain seeping through the cracks of the shifting plates at every step. I feel my damp shirt starting to get uncomfortable. I rush home in the rain, in the dark, to meet a ghost that I've taken in and decided to help in some way. I needed a new project, New L'Manburg was almost complete and I didn't want to spiral out of control again.

Nearing the foundation of my home, seeing the overgrowth starting to take over the sides and roof of it, I see no light pouring through the windows. I hear no sounds as I get closer and closer, I see no movement. I pay no mind to it, I knew he was in there, I hope he was in there.

wiping my boots off on a rock near the door of my house, I open the door swiftly and walk inside out of the rain. Kicking off my boots and taking a quick scan of the living room and kitchen, I see nothing out of place other than a few books scattered on the floor. There were no broken dishes or picture frames, just a small pile of empty picture frames and books. And no ghost.

"Schlatt?" I call out, unfastening my armor and taking off the soaking cloak, holding all of the fallen pieces of armor in my arms as I hear a soft mumbling.

"I'm upstairs." I hear, and sigh, making my way to the set of stairs along the back wall, the water from my clothes leaving a small trail behind me as I go. Taking the stair two at a time, trying not to fall or drop anything as I do, I spot the faint glow of my new friends frame.

The former President floats in the air, legs cross, holding a stack of old photos in his hands, shifting through them one by one. His glowing eyes were dimmed, almost appearing burned out. I stare at the ghost, at the pictures in hands as he slowly slides the front picture to the back, pulling the next one into his view. I swear I saw his face fall, even if it wasn't the highest to begin with.

"Where was this taken..?" Jschlatt asks slowly, his hands moving to show me the new photo. I feel a slight smile on my face as I glance over the colorful picture, the smiling faces. I set the Netherite armor down on the floor, folding the soaking wet cloak and tucking it under the bed for now. I'd get it later.

"That was taken before L'Manburg was created, before the first war." I say, remembering the day easily, as if it were yesterday, when in reality it was years ago. The photo was of me and George, just him and I, sitting near a pond with a few fish swimming around our feet that were submerged under the cool water. I stare at the happy expressions on our faces, comparing them to mental pictures in my mind. George and I have changed so much since we first met, and not just the way we looked.

"What's the story behind it? If you don't mind sharing.." The ghost looks at me, watching as I sat on my bed, grabbing my pillow and putting it behind my back. Schlatt waits patiently as I get comfortable, remember the story the picture. I smile.

"George and I were bored one day, didn't have anything to do, so we grabbed the camera and went exploring." I start, watching as the ghost floats back down to earth, joining me on the bed. "We were looking for mushrooms and some other things to make like a little house for this mouse we found in my house, really just being stupid in the middle of the woods. Well, George ended up slipping into the pond and pulled me down with him. I remember he said it was very relaxing." I settle down onto the covers, hoping they don't get wet from my clothes.

"What about this one?" The ghost moves the picture of George and I to the back of his stack, holding the new one up to me. His hands shake slightly.

"That one," I laugh slightly, seeing a blond man wearing a white hoodie holding a book in one hand and a sword pointed at it with his other. It looked like he was about to stab the book, and if I could press play on the paper, I would be correct.

"That is Punz, I think you've met him before?" Jschlatt hums, telling me to continue. "We took that a couple months after the first war. He wanted to go through some of my books to see if he could learn some new tricks. He instead, got angry because he couldn't figure out what the book wanted him to do, and ended up destroying it out of spite. Thank god I had an extra." I laugh, hearing Schlatt laughing as well, just from hearing the story. It was nice to hear something genuine after what happened today.

I was handed the picture this time, and I held it in my lap, wondering what my ghost friend was up to. I figured he wanted me to tell him about all of these pictures that he held, and I was okay with that, as long as he didn't ask about Tommy's exile, or shows me pictures of two men I'd rather not think about right now. Maybe later, but not right now.

But as the next picture is brought to my attention, the smile on my face drops. I didn't want to think of this man either.

"And this one?" The ghost asks, his finger tracing the lines of a white mask and the small painted expression. The picture was of Dream, just him and a horse I spent three years of my life with. I didn't even know if this horse was still alive..

I take a short breath. "That was before I left the city a few years ago, again, before the first war." I didn't know why I kept that damn thing. "Dream stole my camera and snapped the photo while I was packing up a few more things, saying goodbye to a few more people. The horse was named Caramel.." I whisper, not knowing why seeing the picture was harder than it should be.

I reach for the photo, and Jschlatt gives it to me. He was looking back to his stack and shuffling through it, picking out certain pictures. I caught a flash of green and white before it was turned upside down on my bed. He was picking out the pictures of Dream, and from the black and orange I see, the ones of Sapnap as well.

I stare at the picture until Jschlatt is done, starring at the masked man. I don't know why, but I can tell he was smiling under the mask. Not the deranged and psychotic smile he has taken a liking to, but a kind, warm smile that seemed so far from my memory. I couldn't help but feel wrong as I stared at the picture, remember what came out of Dream's mouth.

"I don't give a fuck about anything!"

He didn't care for George, or Punz, or Sapnap.

If he ever did at all.

1392 words
:/