Chapter Twelve

I pick apart the banana at breakfast, letting the pieces just fall onto my plate. Christian and Wendy have both joined me this morning. It has been four days since the dinner party, another four days without Cain returning to see me. It's raining outside and I wish I could feel it on my skin, to just stand outside for a few moments would be incredible. I hope I get the chance before I eventually die.

"Aurora, what's wrong?" Christian says. "You've been like this for days now."

"Nothing," I whisper, keeping my gaze on the fruit. "I'm just tired."

"Are you not getting enough rest?" Wendy says. "We can have your mattress replaced."

"It's not the mattress," I say.

"Boredom?" Christian offers.

I nod. It's not just that but I can't tell them what's really getting to me without revealing what I am. I'm sick of wondering when Cain is going to kill me, I would rather know than not know. How much longer can he really go without feeding on me? Until the urge is that strong and he can't resist it anymore? A week? A month? Another day? It's as if he's playing a game with me, toying with my emotions in ways that I will never understand.

"I'm making you something special for dinner," Christian says enthusiastically. "Chef's recommendation."

I lift my eyes and smile at him. "Thank you but I'm a little past being excited about food."

"You want to go outside," Wendy mumbles. "There's a few of us going on a walk to the river later, maybe we could ask Cain if-"

I start shaking my head before she finishes and she drops her eyes sadly. "He won't allow it," I say.

"He won't take the chance with a completed," Wendy says.

"I told you, I'm not completed."

"I don't believe you," she says sternly. "And if we can figure it out then it's only a matter of time before the guards and other visitors do. He gave you your own room, keeps you locked away in here without any guards on the entire floor, and he doesn't feed from you often, you look as fresh as when you first arrived. The longer he keeps you alive the more dangerous it will be for you."

"So you'd rather he kill her?" Christian says with disgust.

"I'm just being realistic," she says. "There's so many leaders around the world that have wanted the King's position for centuries. Apparently those that consume a strong enough completed soul can not be killed from his blade."

"Rumours," Christian whispers.

"My owner has witnessed it." Wendy shrugs. "There was a creature that the King loved, she was his companion for many planets. She betrayed him by forming a secret bond with another and investing in a plot to overthrow the King. Her name was Saffron, I think. She had consumed a very strong completed soul just before he discovered her treachery and he could not kill her, only imprison her. He spared her accomplice because he talked his way out of it somehow, blamed it all on Saffron and that she manipulated him."

Saffron. I think about that name, it sounds familiar. I remember Zander bringing her up when he brought me here, he wanted to trade me for her. She was Cain's lover? Wendy's story is true. A creature that consumes me wouldn't be able to be killed by Cain's blade, it really is dangerous to keep me alive.

"Imprison her how?" I ask.

"Somewhere in the palace?" Wendy offers with a shrug. "I don't know. I never asked."

I pick up a piece of banana and chew it slowly, clearing my throat a moment later. "What do you know about a bell?"

"A bell?" Wendy says.