Chapter Twenty-Nine

You are going to set your species free. I hear those words over and over as I adjust to the warm light of the morning. I leave Cain sleeping in my bed and I take a quick shower. Even if there is a way to set us free, how could I be the one to do it? I've already begged Cain to ring the bell and leave but he won't do it until he consumes me and he won't do that anytime soon. Marina is vastly overestimating the influence I have over him. I think he'd give me anything, he'd allow me to change him in many ways, but that would be too far. I can't make a difference.

I fold my arms as I watch him sleep. I already feel like I'm betraying him, like I'm conspiring against him just like Saffron did. It feels wrong to keep this from him, to hide the plans Marina is conducting, but my desire for the humans to be free is greater than anything else within me. It comes first.

I lay back down with my body wrapped in the towel, throwing my wet hair behind my shoulders. Watching him sleep is so strange. It's easy to mistake him for a human. He looks so peaceful and calm. Not the mighty, intimidating creature that millions are afraid of. He spent the whole night with me because he sensed that I was upset. I'm not anymore. I take out a book from my nightstand and I start reading some hopeless, doomed love story. Around thirty minutes pass until I feel him stirring, his arms stretching above his head as he rubs his eyes and turns to look at me.

He smiles. "Hey."

"Good morning," I say.

"How are you?"

"I'm feeling better."

"Good." His hand flips my book shut and I bite on my lip as he throws it to the end of the bed. "What are you wearing that dreadful towel for?"

"Because I've had a shower." I laugh out as he pulls my legs down the bed, my back hitting the soft mattress. "I was at a really good part."

He drums his fingers down my arm and rolls his eyes. "Would you like me to retrieve the book?"

"I'll read it later," I say as his face comes closer to mine. Our lips meet through our smiles, my fingers squeeze against the back of his head. I breathe in his beautiful scent. All creatures have a nice scent, they always smell clean even if they don't wash themselves. Cain smells like a spring field. His skin is so thick that I don't think odour can leak from it. I often wonder if he can even feel my touch against him at all but I don't care for the answer.

"I can't stop thinking about yesterday," he says, grinning to himself. "I can't get you out of my head."

"You liked it then?"

"That might be an understatement. I thought that feeding from you would be as good as it will ever get but I was wrong. Sex with you beats anything and everything."

My cheeks flush and I pat them in embarrassment. "It was pretty amazing. . . well the last part was."

"You felt pain," he whispers. "I didn't like that."

"It was a pain worth having."

"Will you feel it again?"

I laugh. "I don't know. The human body isn't very predictable."

He smiles and places his hand firmly to the back of my neck, gently pulling my face to his. "You are anything but predictable."

The kiss awakens the frenzy inside of me. I roll on top of him, pulling his shirt over his head and then I drag his sweatpants down his legs. I press my lips to his chest, trailing my kiss all over his torso. I get lower, meeting his eyes.

He twists his head curiously. "What are you doing?"

"I want to try something," I say. "Just go with it."