39

We arrived back at my apartment. Derrick having driven us as he was the designated driver of the evening. Stacia, Derrick, Liam, and I entered the apartment followed shortly after by Tarran and Millie.

"Are you okay?" Tarran asked me softly as I stood in the kitchen, getting a glass of water.

"I guess so." I leaned my head down, groaning. "I'm gonna take some pain relief and a hot shower." I slipped my heels off and headed down the hall to my room. I could hear them all talking among themselves, probably about my pathetic ass but I continued to my room. I sat on the edge of my bed, taking out my earrings and getting ready for a long hot shower. Of course, someone had to come and knock on my door. I grumbled about it being open, but they must not have heard me.

"It's open." I groaned. I expected either Liam or Stacia to come in, asking if I was okay. I turned toward my dresser, grabbing comfortable clothes out and throwing them over to the bed. I dug looking for the Marine Corp shirt I wore of Cullen's. I needed the comfort of it now.

"I can't find my Cullen shirt." I groaned, leaning down as I heard my door closing back. "This night just fucking blows." I cursed, not usually one for throwing the F-bomb around. I heard a deep chuckle behind me, I stood quickly realizing it wasn't Stacia or Liam. As I turned to look, I saw Cullen standing there, hands in his pockets, smiling over at me.

"Oh, jeez. Sorry. I thought you were Stacia." I felt the pink rise to my cheeks.

"It's okay. Sorry to interrupt." He smirked. "I don't have an extra shirt with me, but I can get you another one if you'd like." He teased. I groaned at him. He chuckled. I looked at him, noticing his knuckles were all torn up. I stepped toward him, taking his hands in mine.

"You need to clean these up," I whispered gently brushing my fingers over them.

"It's fine."

I turned and went into my bathroom to pull out a first aid kit. I came out and directed him to sit on my bed, which he did so all the while never taking his eyes off me.

"You didn't have to do that." I dabbed his knuckles with the alcohol wipes.

"Yes, I did. That guy needed a busted face." He growled. I raised my brow at him.

"Well, I guess thanks? I'm not sure how to respond to that." I laughed.

"What did he do?" He whispered.

"What do you mean? You busted up your hands and didn't even know what he did?" I joked, blowing softly on his knuckles to help with the sting. His eyes twinkled with delight as I looked up at him.

"Derrick and Liam both were saying he wasn't the nicest of guys and they were trying to keep an eye on you, then you came over all flustered and crying. I didn't need to know any more than that." He shrugged. I just nodded. I finished cleaning up his knuckles and put the kit away.

"I was going to take a hot shower, you're welcome to hang in here, I just need to wash tonight off me" I spoke soft, not wanting him to leave but desperately wanting to clean myself of the nastiness of Marcus.

"What did he do?" Cullen stood, taking my arms into his hands gently.

I closed my eyes tightly. Sighing. "He just forced a couple of kisses on me. I bit his tongue. He called me a whore among other things. He was just nasty." I opened my eyes to see his fists clenched against his sides, anger in his eyes. "It's over, you took care of it and I just want to wash it off." He nodded and I went off to shower.

I took my time, letting the hot water pour over me. I scrubbed every inch of my body at least twice, then washed my hair. I climbed out into the bathroom full of steam and wrapped my towel tightly around me. I had left my clothes laying on the bed. So, I opened the bathroom door slowly, watching the steam roll out. I looked to see if Cullen had stayed but it appeared, he had not. I dried my body and put on some lotions, relaxing as I sat back on the bed. I stood to put my clothes on when Cullen came back into the room.

"Shit, sorry. I'm sorry." He stuttered starting to go back out.

"It's okay." I giggled, throwing my sweatpants on quickly then my shirt that was not my Cullen shirt.

"I'm sorry. I got you hot cocoa." He smiled.

"Thank you. It's fine. Nothing you haven't seen before." I smirked.

He cleared his throat. "It's been quite some time." He muttered.

I took the mug of cocoa and sipped the warm liquid. It felt amazing, warming me immediately. I crawled up into the middle of my bed, my favorite spot, patting a space next to me for Cullen. He happily obliged and sat next to me. I put my mug on the nightstand and turned toward him.

"You feel better now?" He asked quietly, looking at his hands folded in his lap.

"Yes, much. Did everyone else leave?" I asked, almost forgetting about my friends.

"They did, I told them I would take care of you, they could head out. I hope that's ok." He rubbed the back of his neck. "Though Stacia made it clear if you didn't call her before the night was over to check-in, I'd be in big trouble."

"That's fine. I didn't need a group of babysitters." I chuckled nervously.

"I'm sorry, Avery," Cullen whispered out, surprising me.

"Sorry?" I leaned my head to the side.

"For leaving last night. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have just run out like that."

"I appreciate the apology. It honestly, really hurt when you left.  But, I think I kind of deserved it.  A little taste of what I put you through."  I looked up at his handsome face, my heart fluttering. What an emotional roller coaster the last 24 hours had been.

"This year has been pretty rough for me." He spoke honestly. I felt incredibly guilty.

"Cullen." I started.

"No, it's okay Avery. I don't want an explanation, not right now, not tonight." He reached for my hand and I happily gave it. "Can I just stay here with you, tonight?" He asked quietly.

"Of course, I would love nothing more." I smiled wide.

"Tomorrow morning, or well later this morning." He laughed, as it was well past midnight. "We'll have breakfast, and we can talk, okay?"

"Okay."