30

The Doctor's discharged Cullen the following day; he left the hospital with his parents and went to Tarran's to freshen up and gather some things before coming back for me. I was waiting impatiently for the Ob/Gyn to make her rounds so that I could be discharged as well. Stacia and her Mom, Tina, were sitting with me.

"I'm really scared," I whispered out, playing with the hem of my shirt. I sat on the edge of the bed, fully dressed and ready to go; I just needed the Ob to give the go-ahead.

"Of what?" Stacia asked, oblivious to my worries.

"Stacia." Tina gave her a look. "Avery, I know it's a scary time. But you are not alone. We're all here for you, Cullen and the baby. I won't lie to you and tell you it will be easy, but it's not impossible." Tina held my hand, standing next to me. "Like I told Stacia, I'm oddly excited about becoming a Grandmother. If you feel I'm worthy of the title." She smiled.

"Oh Tina, of course, you are! You've been amazing, taking me in when you guys did and now being here for me through all of this." I squeezed her hand.

"Okay, love fest over. I'm just glad you're giving her the grandkid. It keeps me off the hook." Stacia laughed. 

The Doctor finally arrived and cleared me to go home. I made a follow-up appointment and was given vitamins to continue, the Doctor ordered me to rest as much as possible. The nurse wheeled me to the lobby, where Brandon was waiting outside with the car. We all rode in relative silence back to the apartment I shared with Stacia. 

Since I was currently without a phone due to the accident, I had Stacia text Cullen to meet us at the apartment. Brandon assisted me up to the apartment as the girls followed. It felt incredible to be back home, in my own surroundings. I went to take a shower and put on fresh, comfortable clothes while the others settled in. Brandon and Tina would be heading back home later this evening, so she tried to set up as much as possible to make things easier for me to rest.

The hot water pouring over me felt amazing. My ribs were sore and stiff, but the water helped ease the discomfort. I was able to wash my hair with minimal pain and get my body cleaned up as well. I noticed some bruises here and there, but they were yellowing and starting to fade already. The accident felt like a lifetime ago already, so much emotional strain. I let myself cry again while alone in the shower. I was tired of everyone treating me like a fragile piece of glass, waiting for me to break at any moment. I was allowed to feel upset and worried; my life was changing. But to spare them the worry, I was going to keep my breakdowns to myself. I finished up and was able to get out, albeit slowly. I wrapped myself snuggly in a towel and stood looking myself over in the mirror. My eyes looked heavy and worn out. I opened the towel and examined my breasts and stomach, looking for any physical signs of pregnancy. 'How did I miss it?' I thought to myself. I had been so busy with school, work, and missing Cullen that I hadn't even noticed the missed period. My breasts didn't look any different, and my stomach was as flat as it had always been.

I sighed, wrapping myself back up and stepping into my room. I took my time drying off and dressing into an oversized t-shirt and Capri sweatpants. I towel dried my hair and tousled it out. I took a deep breath and opened my door, joining the others in the living room. Stacia and Tina were sitting on the sofa, Brandon sat in the chair, and Cullen, to my surprise, was standing, having just came through the door. He looked amazing for everything we had been through. Cullen was wearing a tight white t-shirt and khaki pants with sneakers. His wrist in a camo print cast that Tarran had picked for him, he looked fresh, rested, and happy. The smile he gave me when I entered the room made my heart skip a beat.

"Hey, you." He came to me, putting his hands on my waist and leaning in to give me a quick peck. I smiled up at him and leaned into his chest, hugging him close.