7

"Do you have plans this evening?" He asked, kicking a rock around the sidewalk.

"Nope." I popped the 'p' in nope.

"Sick of me yet?" He teased.

"Not at all." I smiled.

"Would you like to come over for dinner? I mean, I live with my parents still, but they're out of town, so no awkwardness of meeting them or anything." He blurted.

I laughed a little nervously. "Sure, I think that would be nice."

"Awesome. I have my car; would you like to ride along with me?"

"Yeah, that'll work. Let me call Stacia and let her know not to expect me." I pulled my phone out as we walked toward his car.

"What's up?!" She answered.

"Hey, I'm going to go have dinner with Liam at his place, so I won't be back until later. Is that cool?" I asked. I could tell she was smiling over the phone.

"Um, yes, of course, it is!! So excited for you!! Derrick is actually coming to pick me up for dinner! I talked to the parental units, they said to send you their love and for you to call when you could to say hello."

"Okay, good, glad you won't be alone then. I will, I need to; they have been so good to me."

"Have fun and don't do anything I wouldn't do." She giggled before hanging up.

Liam stood waiting to open the door for me. "Everything good?"

"Yep. " I hopped in the car, he followed after, and off we went. We headed out of the downtown area and to the more suburban area. He pulled into a nice neighborhood with large elaborate homes. After a few turns, he pulled into the driveway and into the garage of one of the nicest homes I've seen.

"Home Sweet Home." He smiled.

I followed him into the house, entering the kitchen. He flipped the light switch on, revealing a lovely kitchen of granite counters and stainless-steel appliances. He led me through into the living area that shared the room. It was cozy.

"I was just going to make some grilled cheese and tomato soup; does that sound good to you?" He motioned for me to have a seat on the little sofa.

"That sounds great. Definitely soup weather." I mentally slapped myself for sounding like such a dork.

"It's a beautiful home." I complimented. He just smiled. "So, Derrick has his own place?" I asked.

"Yes, he has an apartment near campus, close to Froggies."

"And your sister?"

"She lives around the block, actually." He laughed. "She likes to be close to "keep an eye" on me and for the kids to see my parents."

"That's really nice. It's wonderful that your family is so close." I tried to suppress the sadness I felt, knowing I didn't have that.

"We are, for the most part, definitely have our moments. I know you haven't been as fortunate. Do you have siblings?" He asked quietly, looking at me as he assembled the sandwiches.

"Well, um. Not that I know of." I shrugged in all honesty.

"I'm sorry, Avery, I don't mean to bring up anything painful." He looked genuinely upset.

"It's okay. I...I never knew my Father. I don't know his name or anything about him, not even what he looks like." I started, again figuring I might as well lay it all out there and prevent future awkward moments. "So, wherever he is, I suppose he could have other children. As far as my Mother, I physically haven't seen her in about 10 years,  before that; it was infrequent. I've not heard of her having other children, but I suppose that would be a possibility as well, though I certainly hope not for the child's sake."