19. Silence

I'm so sorry for the late update.
Don't forget to vote and comment. Happy reading 🧁. Sending lots of love your way🧚.

Amaka, Adam and nurse Rose waited anxiously for the doctor to arrive. Fiona's parents had arrived after nurse Rose had called them. Fiona's parents knew what this meant, and so did nurse Rose. The only people who were left in the dark were Adam and Amaka.  Adam spotted the doctor walking over to them with his stethoscope in his hands. He had a grim look on his face as he approached them.

Adam jumped up from the chair as if a needle had pricked him. "Doctor! Please what's wrong with her?" He asked wide eyes. The doctor sighed before shifting his gaze from Adam to Fiona's parents.

"She'll be fine." The doctor answered dodging the question.

Adam sighed and ran his hands over his face. "That's not the answer to my question!" He said exasperatedly.

"Doctor?" Fiona's father called and the doctor walked over to him. They spoke in hushed tones and just like Adam was eager to know what was wrong with Fiona, she also was. She stared in confusion as they let them drown in suspense. Couldn't they just stop beating around the bush and tell them what was wrong?. Amaka's subconscious spoke.

"In a few minutes time. I'll meet you all on Fiona's room." The doctor said before leaving their presence to attend to the other patients.

Adam groaned as he slumped in the chair. "I don't get. Why won't they just tell us?"

"You'll soon find out." Fiona's mum said as she hugged her husband trying to contain the tears that were threatening to spill.

Adam gripped his hair in frustration. He wanted to punch something, he wanted to do anything. But he was in the hospital, he couldn't start a scene at all if he didn't want to be kicked out.

Seconds turned to minutes and minutes turned to hours. The doctor approached them and asked them to follow him. The walk to Fiona's room was silent, not a single soul uttered a word. The doctor opened the door to the room and they were all met with a pale looking Fiona who had wires in her nose.

Adam and Amaka gasped as they took in Fiona's appearance. She didn't look good at all. Fiona noticed their presence and turned to look at them. She swallowed nervously before shifting her gaze to the window. How would she tell them, how would she even start.

The doctor cleared his throat and adjusted the collar of his shirt. "Fiona your friend here, has leukemia." He dropped the bombshell.

Amaka laughed. "Leu... What?" She laughed some more. She turned to Fiona who didn't have any trace of humour on her face. Amaka stopped laughing. "They're.....lying. Right?" Amaka asked as she stared at her best friend with wide eyes.

A year fell from Fiona's eye. "It's...true" she croaked out. Amaka sobbed.

"How? But, but you've been so healthy and strong and active. How?" She asked as tears flowed from her eyes.

Adam just watched, his heart broken at the news. Was that what Kelechi meant when he always referred to her as a sick girl. Even if he wanted to say something, he didn't know what to say.

"I.. I wanted to tell you. I just couldn't." Fiona said sadly.

Amaka walked closer to the bed where her best friend lay. "Why? Why didn't you tell me.?" Amaka asked sadly.

"I was scared, I didn't want you to give me the look that you're giving me. I didn't want to be treated differently because I was sick. I didn't want you to be sad because your best friend was dying. I saw how happy you looked when you spoke about our future. How could I tell you that I was dying?" Fiona cried out.