1. The Big Bad Bennet

Between my pale skin – because I'd rather moon tan at night than sit on a crowded beach among noisy people, sweating under the scorching sun –, and the heavy bags under my eyes, I look like a hobo girl most of the time. At least, that's what my sister says. Hence, whatever I wear, it doesn't really flatter my countenance nor my body. That's why I don't put much effort into my outfits. It's not like I go anywhere beyond Fran's, campus, and library or bookstore.

So, I put on the first clean clothes I found – black jeans, Linkin Park t-shirt, black and white sneakers. I tied my hair up in a high ponytail – with a mental note to get a haircut before the beginning of the semester –, grabbed my shoulder bag, put on my earphones, and left the apartment. I had my music in my ears even before I reached the elevator. I don't have a car, but the café is really close, even if I walk slowly, it doesn't take me more than 10 minutes to get there.

I was listening to the Hybrid Theory album because it's pretty energetic, and considering I was running on 3 hours of sleep, I really needed it. Normally, I work in the afternoon, but Fran, my boss, called last night saying she wasn't feeling well, so I ought to take over for her in the morning. It's only a supervising job – namely, I need to make sure that her grandson and his girlfriend don't set the place on fire –, but she pays me overtime, which is highly welcome money, given my situation.

I guess, maybe, just ... maybe, moving into a smaller apartment wouldn't be such a horrible thing. I've never had a social life, so I was able to save a lot throughout the years: I started working when I was 15 – according to Kelly, it was a good way of shaking off my Catholic school years and getting into the real world, but for me it was just about saving money.

That's why I never really spent anything, other than in books, of course. I saved so much that I could have paid all four years of college on my own, but I wouldn't have had anything else. Luckily, I didn't have to. The only real act of good parenting that ever came from Hera and Ronald Baker was creating a college fund each for me and Kelly when we were born. That's the only money I've ever accepted and will ever accept from them. I wasn't even going to, but my sister convinced me to swallow my pride just this once.

However, other than college, ever since I turned 18, I refused to let my parents pay a single cent for me. Hell, we barely talk as it is. That means that 3 years living on my own in a big apartment took a toll on my finances. The savings from my years working at a bookstore in my hometown will mostly go into paying for my master's degree, because my mother's latest rant stretched the chord between us too thin, and no matter what Kelly or granny say, I'm not going to bow to her despotic self any longer.

Therefore, I don't have a choice, I need to sub-rent the spare room in my apartment. Ideally, my new roommate should be a nice quiet girl that won't be too much around, but at this point, I can't be too picky. Classes start next week, I won't have time after that. I'll just take in anyone and hope for the best. Worst case scenario, I can kick them out.

"Good morning, honey." Fran greeted me with a smile the moment I entered the café. Linkin Park's Given Up was still blasting through my ears, so I didn't exactly hear my employer, but I've learnt to read her lips by now, same as she's learnt not to rely too much on my social skills.

After having slipped off my earphones just as Crawling was starting, I smiled to hide the fact that I was still somewhat sleepy. "Weren't you sick?" I asked, trying not to be too harsh. Fran can be a tough boss, but she's a really nice lady.

"Oh, I feel good now." She told me with a bright smile, eyes on a client that had just paid for a coffee.

I arched an eyebrow at her. "You sure?" Or more like, you could have told me. I'd have stayed in bed.