8. You're too cute to be invisible

The first day back to class was easier than I expected. Be it that I came from a couple of days spent without my noisy roommate, be it that, as a senior that's worked double as hard as her peers, I have less classes this semester, the morning was fairly chill. I only had one last class before lunch, but because talking to my tutor about my thesis took longer than I expected, I had to scurry down the hall.

Needless to say, all the best spots were taken. I could only go to the upper side, which is horrible because it's mostly made of chatty people that care more about laughing with friends than listening to the lecture.

I looked more than once, scanning the whole class, but nothing, literally nothing. Sighing, I made my way up the stairs, until, by the fifth row, I saw someone waving his hand in my direction, then pointing at the seat next to him.

I turned around, thinking he was aiming for someone behind me, but there was no one else. Feeling awkward, but also thankful because the fifth row was still close enough to the professor for everybody to be quiet in fear of getting caught, I pointed at myself, sending the guy a quizzical look. He nodded, smiling right at me, once again patting the seat beside him. I wasn't sure about it, but I heard the professor behind me ordering everyone to take a seat, so I had no choice.

"Hi." I greeted awkwardly, trying to force out a small smile, once I reached the seat. The guy grinned, taking his jacket back, so that I could sit down, which I did. "Thanks."

"Oh, thank you, love." He told me in a quite clear English accent.

"For what?" I asked distractedly as I settled down.

The guy merely smiled, but didn't answer, either because he didn't want to or because the professor began to speak. My attention immediately switched to the lecture, so there weren't any other chances to get a conversation going. Not that I would want to, I'm really not a people person. Lukas is probably the person I talk to the most, even if I don't want to.

🔥🔥🔥

As soon as the professor left, the room became noisy, with people hurrying up to get to the cafeteria for lunch. I took my sweet time, because I wasn't going to the same place – since I don't have any more classes for the day, might as well eat at home, or grab some takeout on the way. I need to immediately start rearranging my notes, and then begin with the research my tutor told me to do for the thesis.

It might seem early, I still have other classes and exams this year, but given my academic career, she agrees that I can graduate by July already. Well, she said I might make it even by April, but she didn't want to set a too ambitious goal. What's most important is that I graduate before summer, that way I can do an internship for the 3 months, and then start my master's degree next Fall. Like I said, I have my path all planned out, a roommate with evident issues with boundaries won't disrupt anything.

"Well, that was a rough beginning."

I was so lost in my thoughts while gathering my things that I nearly jumped when I heard the voice beside me. "What do you mean?" I asked, since the guy from earlier was clearly talking to me. I'll admit I'd pretty much forgotten about him, completely focused on the lecture as I was. When I go full nerd mode, there's nothing that can distract me.

"I mean I didn't imagine an English literature class could be so difficult."

I couldn't help but chuckle. "You're not into literature, are you?"

"God, no." He grumbled, shouldering his backpack, same as I did with my messenger bag. "I'm a Math major." The guy explained.

"Why did you pick this course, then?"