29. You wouldn't dare

TARA

Okay, sleeping together was a mistake. A huge mistake. Especially given how close we're getting. And the worst part was, it was nice. I'll admit I had entirely forgotten how it feels to be spooned, to feel safe in someone's arms. The problem was ... all that happened in the wrong arms.

Thankfully, when I woke up, Lukas wasn't there. I fought against my sleepy self to get up even though it was kind of early, and once I was done with my morning routine in the bathroom – which, by the way, since my roommate with benefits decided that kisses were a thing, now includes mouthwash before anything else –, I went to the kitchen. Surprisingly, Lukas wasn't there.

I didn't see any breakfast laid out either, so I went back to my old ways and started preparing some green tea for myself. While I waited, I checked my phone. I sighed when I read Sean's message from last night, asking me if this Friday was okay for our date.

I don't know whether I should just get it over with, rip it off like a band aid, or be open about not wanting anything serious right now. Maybe we could still go out on Friday but make it a friendly thing.

Before I could reply to Sean, however, I heard the front door being unlocked. For a moment, I considered hiding. I didn't know how to face Lukas after last night. What we told each other, what we did, it was a lot. But maybe I should talk to him as well, remind him of our rules. Two more months of this might see me in huge trouble at the end. Like I said, it's time to pull those brakes.

As if on cue, right when Lukas entered the kitchen, all sweaty from his morning run, I got a new message. From Sheila. It was just the same as the one on Instagram. Maybe she thought I hadn't read it. I quickly replied with: I'm ok, you? Then I placed my phone on the counter to get my tea.

"You're up early." Lukas mused, sounding somewhat wheezy.

"And you're back early." I commented. It wasn't even 6.30 am, I woke up way too soon.

He chuckled and, much to my dismay, he came to cover my body with his from behind just as I was about to start drinking my tea. "I went out around 4 am." He placed a lingering kiss on my neck, wrapping his arms around me.

"You're all sweaty." I grimaced, not exactly a fan of that sticky sensation on my skin.

"That's what usually happens when you run for two and a half hours, Munchkin." Lukas sassed, squeezing me into him.

"Woah," I couldn't help but chuckle as I felt something poking me, "someone else is awake."

"And that usually happens when you're near."

I rolled my eyes, mostly because it was so corny. "No, that usually happens when you breathe." I chuckled, turning around to face him. "I keep telling you, Bennet, you need to get checked up, your libido is abnormal."

He pressed his body against mine. "Is that your way of saying you worry about me?"

"I did worry when you thrashed your room and disappeared for 2 days." I admitted. I knew he didn't want to talk about it, but he couldn't just act like nothing. That bedroom is going to need some serious reparations and I'm the one that's gonna be yelled at by the landlord.

Lukas' smirk faltered. "I'm sorry about that."

"Yes, you said." I nodded. "But I still don't know what happened." I mentioned, wondering whether he'd talk or not.

Predictably, Lukas pulled back entirely, completely switching from seductive to cold in a couple of seconds. "I should make breakfast. Why don't you go take a shower? Then we can eat." The sole fact that he suggested I shower without him was a bad sign.