1 | Oreo milkshake

I am fucked

I am fucked.

And it wasn't in a good way.

"Logan, get your ass back in the game. I need you on your best." Coach Johnson is slapping his notepad against the wall behind him. He had never looked this furious at us before. I tried to get my head back in the game but it was getting harder with every second passing by. My head has been somewhere else since the phone call of my sister.

Alessia doesn't call me a lot and when she does, it is when she needs me. She is the troubled child out of the two of us. She likes to see how far she can go without our parents knowing about it. I have seen her sneak out of the house more than I could count on both my hands. But she always lets me know where she is and if she needs help. That is the only rule that I made with her when she started to become a rebel.

The clock was ticking further. The guys were all counting on me but I had no one around me to pass. I have to be the one taking the shot this time. I had to be the captain that they wanted me to be. Do the hard things even when they seem impossible to do. The one and the only advice that coach Johnson hammers on whenever I am feeling down. I am the captain of the team and need to make sure that they know that.

I take one more look at the crowd where my mother is biting her nails. She had to talk with me after the game and I had been thinking about it. What could possibly be so important that she had to come to visit me. She was the reason that I couldn't concentrate on anything else than her. I am worried that something bad happened to Alessia when she called me that night. I heard her cry for the first time in years and it broke my heart. I couldn't do anything for her but listen to her crying until she fell asleep on the phone.

"Take a deep breath. You can do this." The words of my grandfather keep me humble. I take the shot, hoping for the best that could happen. I keep telling myself that I tried my best to fix the game with the best I could. I was not the one who normally takes the lead to take a shot. I always pass to Austin but he was on the bench. He was out of the game.

"New Perk University wins this game with a close call." The ice rink was filled with cheers. The guys on the team tilt me up in the air but I couldn't enjoy this game. I couldn't focus on the win that I made happen. My focus is on my mother's tired eyes staring back at me. "Carson Logan is the star of the game. What a team captain do they have."

My mother was smiling at me but I could see that she was forcing it. She was trying to be happy for me but she had something bad to tell me. I knew that it was going to happen eventually. She would never get here for some good news. The only reason that my parents visit me is when they feel like I am ignoring them or when something bad happened. Otherwise, we call and text each other to keep everybody updated on our lives.

"I will wait outside, honey." She holds her bag close to her chest while making her way outside. All the people surrounding her but she didn't care about the win. Deep down she was happy that I won this but her mind is somewhere else. Just like mine. "Carson, can you do an interview with the college paper? It would really mean a lot for me."