𝙳𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚎𝚛𝚘𝚞𝚜 𝚃𝚛𝚒𝚌𝚔𝚜 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝙸𝚗𝚟𝚒𝚗𝚌𝚒𝚋𝚕𝚎 𝙱𝚘𝚢𝚜

"Can I at least know your name before I do this?" Lucas calls to me from behind the motorcycles getting ready to go up the ramp to do their flips. His guitar in his guitar case is leaning against the gate separating us from the crowd.

"I'll tell you my name afterward," I reply, folding my arms and leaning my back against the gate.

"But what if I don't survive?"

"Boys survive anything," I answer. "My cousin, Jacob rode a drone for five miles, fell from ten feet, and didn't even have one bruise. You'll survive, trust me."

"BUT THIS IS TWENTY FEET!"

"Just think about what would happen to your guitar if you died. It would become an orphan, with no home. I don't play guitar, and I highly doubt your friend does either." I thumb gesture towards the redhead pulling out his phone to record his best friend. I roll my eyes at him.

"Wouldn't that make me more reluctant to do this?" Lucas questions.

"It's not like you have a choice. I was just motivating you not to die." I shrug off the gate and lean down to tighten the rope connecting him to the motorcycle in front of us. "Good luck!" I give him a fake smile, wave, and then jump over to the safe side of the gate.

Before Lucas can reply, the motorcycle he's attached to lurches forward, dragging him and causing him to almost fly backward. But like I said before, boys survive anything. And he stays on.

He leans down to grab the sides of the skateboard so he doesn't fly off as the final motorcycle—the one he's tied to—goes airborne. I hear him scream like a girl as he desperately clings to the board.

His body flies off the skateboard and into the air as the motorcyclist does a crazy flip. Dust surrounds the two boys as they land.

"What in the..." I breathe when the dust clears.

Okay, no, of course I didn't want him to kill himself, and I knew he would survive (boys always do). But he flew thirty feet into the air (don't tell him; he thought it was twenty), did a crazy flip, yet still landed without a single hair out of place.

What.

In.

The.

World.

He brushes himself off, grabs his skateboard, and strides over to me. Within a second I have my shocked expression wiped from my face.

"So, what's your name?" he says calmly, although I know he's just as surprised as me.

I glare at him. "I'll give you a hint: It's the capital of France," I reply, expecting him to shout out 'Paris!' like a normal person. But instead, the red-head comes up behind me and exclaims in my ear, "Your name is Eiffel Tower!?"

I turn around, and Lucas and I both blink at brainless. He reads are expressions and smirks. "I told you I was a genius, Lucas," he says and then turns on his heels, walking away confidently.

I ignore the boy and turn back to Lucas. "My name's Paris," I say, again ignoring Lucas' outstretched hand and leaning against the gate. He jumps over to my side expertly and stands tall above my small frame. He scratches the back of his neck in a boy's classic 'nervous habit' and refuses to look me in the eye when he says, "Do you wanna...I don't know...get some ice cream? My treat."

Ha. Treat. "What are you, a dog?" I reply sarcastically, folding my arms over my chest.

He laughs, and I just stare in reply. He eventually realizes it's not really a joke.

"No," he answers seriously. "But I don't mind fetching us some ice cream." He starts laughing again with his fingers extended, pointing at me, but I just stare again blankly.

"Oooookay," he answers the pressing silence, drawing out the 'o'. "I'll go get the ice cream. And...you wait here!"

"Oooookay," I imitate him, drawing out the 'o' like he did.

He nods, backing away from me like he's scared to break eye contact. I hold off a grin as I watch him back towards a tree stump. Suddenly his heel hits it, causing him to lose his balance. His arms flail as he struggles to regain his balance. Once he does, I can't help letting out the snort-laugh falling from my mouth. His gaze turns to me and for a minute I think he's going to be angry.

Not that I care.

But then he laughs with me, and I shake my head thoughtfully.

This kid really is something.

Boy

𝐀 𝐦𝐚𝐥𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐢𝐥𝐝.

Boy

𝐯. 𝐓𝐨 𝐬𝐮𝐫𝐯𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐲𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠

𝐚𝐝𝐣. 𝐁𝐫𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐥𝐞𝐬𝐬