𝙲𝚊𝚝𝚊𝚙𝚞𝚕𝚝?!

Lucas

"Alright, so what's the plan?" I stare up at our goal, the far window set against the side of Paris' house. We're hoping it's Paris' window, but our uncertainty is making me seriously worried. I squint through the slides of hair clouding my vision and see faint light illuminating the window above us. I put a hand to the cement and run a finger down its smooth surface. "I guess climbing is out of the picture. I was kinda hoping she had some ivy or a tree near her window."

"Maybe you can just ask her to let down her hair," Justin returns, walking up beside me to place a hand on the wall.

"I don't really think her hair's long enough," I reply, turning to face him.

"Then you'll just have to jump to it." He imitates the motion, jumping and reaching up, his fingers reaching over seven feet short.

"I don't really think Paris would appreciate me pulling on her hair. Especially since I'm sure she's already mad at me. It is my fault she was on that stage in the first place and embarrassed herself in front of all those people."

"Hey, don't blame yourself. How about we blame your brain instead? It's what came up with the idea in the first place."

I groan and run a hand down my face. "On a scale from one to ten, how mad do you think she is?"

"Mad enough for murder for sure."

"Thanks, bud, you always know how to cheer a guy up."

"Anytime." Justin suddenly gets a painfully thoughtful look on his face. Then his face brightens. "I have an idea!"

"Really? What is it?"

"A catapult." His eyes sparkle as he explains his entire plan. Apparently, he has one in his garage that's big enough to shoot human beings.

"I'll take your word for it," I say, interrupting his ranting.

"So you'll do it?"

"No." I can't tell him I don't trust the idea, because then he'll think I don't trust him. I do trust him...just not his brain.

"Come, on! It's totally safe. My dad made it in his teenage years and used it all the time on his friends."

"And where are those friends now?"

"Oh, they're dead."

I blink a few times before echoing, "Dead?"

"My dad never really told me how exactly, but I guess it's not really important."

"Not important?!"

"I don't mean that their lives weren't important. I just mean that details are usually not important. They're usually very boring."

"Boring?!"

"Alright, sit tight," he says, patting my shoulder. "I'll go get the cannon."

I raise an eyebrow in confusion. "I thought you said it was a catapult."

"Well, kinda. I guess it's both." He runs off and then he's gone, blending into the darkness.

"Wait! I never agreed to—" I cut myself off with a sigh. I guess it's futile. Sinking into the dirt, I grab a stick and poke it at the ground uselessly, patiently awaiting my fate.

———————

"I'M BACK!"

I see Justin running down the side path, waving over at me.

He slows down as he approaches. I look around him in confusion. "Where's the cannon?"

"You mean the catapult."

"Yeah, catapult...so where is it?"

"I guess while I was gone you decided that I indeed had the best idea." He puffs out his chest. "It's at the front of the house, awaiting your orders."

Pushing back the fear rising in my stomach I reply, "Let's do this."

It's not until we get the large catapult to the side of Paris' house that I realize that there's not even a helmet. Of course Justin forgot a helmet.

"This baby might look like a catapult but she shoots like a cannon," Justin states, rubbing the side of the machine. "Trust me, you'll be safe in her hands."

"I'm guessing you didn't bring a helmet?" I ask despite knowing the answer.

"You don't need one. I promise!" He grins and gives me a thumbs up. "Now hop on in!"

I gingerly walk around to the back of the catapult and slowly sit in the surprisingly comfortable seat. I guess it really was made for human beings.

"Let's count to three, oka—" Suddenly my stomach drops from its place and I'm launched into the air. My words fade into the emptiness as I soar through the sky. The view is beautiful, sparkling stars so close it feels like I could touch them, the roofs not far below lining the fading horizon, and then the bright light streaming from the window flying towards me way too fast. My scream is cut off by the thump as I hit the window. "Man, that hurt," I mumble against the glass.