𝙷𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚠𝚘𝚛𝚔 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝙸𝚖𝚙𝚘𝚜𝚜𝚒𝚋𝚕𝚎

"Math?"

"No."

"Social studies?"

"Don't need it."

"Science—?"

"SHALL NEVER SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY."

My head snaps to the pair, Lucas and Justin, as they 'do their homework'. Honestly, they could be quieter.

So much quieter.

And faster.

I'm done with 50% of my homework while they are still deciding which subject to start with.

Homework

S𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐥 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐤 𝐝𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐬𝐢𝐝𝐞 𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐥 (𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐢𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐚𝐭 𝐡𝐨𝐦𝐞).

Homework

𝐀𝐩𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐥𝐲 𝐚𝐬 𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐝 𝐚𝐬 𝐚 𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞 𝐨𝐫 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡

𝐒𝐢𝐤𝐞, 𝐢𝐭 𝐈𝐒 𝐚 𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞 𝐨𝐫 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡

I reach over, grab Justin's science homework, and toss it to them. "Start with science," I decide for them. "Better to get the 'worst done first'."

Justin retracts like I had landed a cockroach on his lap.

Honestly though, knowing him, he probably wouldn't react like that...he'd just ask, 'Is it edible?' and then proceed to eat it even if we tell him it's not....which isn't necessarily true since they actually are (and good for you at that), just incredibly, exceedingly, utterly disgusting—

"Paris is right," Lucas begins. "It's better to start with your least favorite to get it out of the way."

"But it's science..." Justin groans, throwing himself back on the couch and sprawling himself lazily.

"...an important subject," Lucas finishes.

"How!?" Justin exclaims, sitting up suddenly to face his best friend.

Lucas gives the boy an odd look. "And how in the world should I know?"

I—

"Then why did you say it was an important subject?" Justin asks giving his friend an 'I'm questioning your sanity' expression.

"I don't know!"

"Oh, because everything the school gives us needs to be important," I say sarcastically.

"Agreed," Justin replies. "That's why I have a real concern about where these people's brains are!"

"Hopefully theirs aren't where yours is," I murmur quietly with my face turned away from the boys.

"You know what? I'm taking a well-deserved break," Justin says, rising to his feet with a determined look.

"Oh, yes." I nod. "Much well-deserved."

Lucas shoots me a look, but I ignore it as I stand and walk over to Justin. Putting an arm around his shoulder (not exactly easy with his extremely tall figure), I lead him toward the doorway that leads out of the living room. "How about you go get some fresh air? It'll do you some good." With one last shove, he's gone, and I give a sigh of relief. "Finally, peace and quiet," I breathe, sitting back on the couch and pulling out the page I was working on before.