𝙱𝚊𝚌𝚔𝚐𝚛𝚘𝚞𝚗𝚍 𝙲𝚑𝚎𝚌𝚔𝚜 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚀𝚞𝚎𝚜𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗𝚜

"You're still grounded, missy," my mom says from the kitchen, where I can smell something delicious cooking.

"You've told me a million times," I reply, plopping down on the couch with my phone in hand. "I know I am."

Suddenly my phone disappears from my grip. "That includes no phones."

Grounded

𝐍𝐨𝐭 𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐨𝐰𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐟𝐥𝐲.

𝐂𝐨𝐧𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐨𝐧𝐞'𝐬 𝐫𝐨𝐨𝐦, 𝐭𝐲𝐩𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐛𝐲 𝐚 𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭, 𝐚𝐬 𝐚 𝐩𝐮𝐧𝐢𝐬𝐡𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭

Grounded

𝐍𝐨 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐥𝐝, 𝐧𝐨 𝐩𝐡𝐨𝐧𝐞, 𝐧𝐨 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞.

𝐁𝐮𝐭 𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐥𝐥, 𝐟𝐚𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐲 𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬.

I stare up into her face, firm and sure, but still hard to oppose.

I groan. "What in the world am I supposed to do now?"

"Read a book," she answers. "Back in the day, you actually enjoyed doing that."

"Wow 'back in the day'," I repeat, rolling my eyes. "I'm sixteen, not sixteen-hundred."

"Well, it seems like far too long ago," she replies, taking my kidnapped phone with her to the kitchen.

I groan and sink lower into the couch, arms crossed.

Suddenly loud knocking comes from the door behind me. I don't even flinch.

"Paris!" my mom calls. "Can you get the door?"

I lazily rise to my feet to walk around the couch to the front door. I open it, speaking before I see who the knocker is. "We have a doorbell you know—" I stare in shock for a minute, but it fades quickly, replaced by an annoyed expression. I place a hand on my hip and narrow my eyes. "What are you doing here, Lucas?"

"When you stopped answering the phone, I thought I'd come over," he replies, giving me a smile and letting himself in. "We're neighbors, you know."

"Oh? What a wonderful surprise."

"You didn't know that?" my younger sister's voice comes from behind me. I turn around slowly to face her blabbering mouth."We've been neighbors for like ten years. Ever since we moved here after I was born."

I turn back to Lucas to see a slight grimace showing through his smile.

"Don't take it too personally," Emilie continues with a flip of her hair. "She doesn't know anyone. She's gonna die a single, lonely old lady." She pauses for a moment. "Actually, not completely alone...she'll probably have like five cats to keep her company."

My head snaps back toward my short sister. "First of all, I don't even like cats. Second of all...who cares if I don't know anyone? At least I know my family...and how annoying they are." I glare down at her, wishing my stare would make her go 'poof'. But of course, she remains to continue her annoying antics.

"Would you like to stay for dinner?" Emilie questions Lucas, ignoring obvious signs of annoyance.

"I don't want to be a bother..." he begins politely.

My little sister scoffs and loops her arm around his. "Nonsense!" she answers with her posh accent, skipping forward with Lucas dragging behind.

———————