vi.

Maj

There are very few things I hate. I was raised to treat other people without hate and without prejudice but in your old years, you begin to start disliking things a lot more. 

I hate Jinan. He was nothing but a foul little twerp. Unfortunately, he was also a Storm Elementalist. We needed him around here no matter what he’s done. And I don’t even fully know what he’s done. Jayen shut down completely after he. . . well. I don’t know what he did but it must’ve been bad.

I hate Lord Damon. I hate that man more than I’ve ever hated anyone before. 

And I hate mornings.

The younger ones tend to ignore what’s going on in the world. Sometimes I pity them. Sometimes I envy them. But either way, it’s no way to live.

“Maj?” Jayen looked up at me as we were walking home. “Do you think it’ll work out?” Her eyes were slightly red as if she were briefly crying. 

“Will what work out?” I asked her.

“Lady Dupon coming here. What does she want?” Jayen shook her head. “Lord Damon was retired so he moved here. But why is she? She doesn’t sound like she’s old. This town isn’t a place that people just move to. This is a place where people go to get away from something to live out the rest of their days.”

“You’ve thought about this?”

“It was either thinking about Jinan or her.”

“Sometimes, a new beginning starts when you least expect it to, whether you want it to or not.”

“I missed your old age wisdom.”

I lightly smacked the back of her head and she laughed. “’Old age wisdom.’ How old do you think I am?”

“You know the old 200 year oak in the back?” 

“Oh, stars.” I rolled my eyes.

“Older than that.”

We both laughed and I flicked my hand at her.