xxxvi

Kuna

“The stew is almost done.” I moved the pot off the fire. I was using the open fire stove in the corner. Ferni had helped me cut the vegetables and Aoife had washed and prepared everything I needed. She left to go lay down and Ferni went back to sleep.

As I was stirring the stew I heard the clicking of shoes down the hallway. I thought it was Devi at first but I didn't recognize the footsteps. I turned towards the doorway as the lady stepped into view.

“How’s Jayen?” I asked.

She plopped into the chair nearest to me. “She’s sleeping now, but I need a favor.”

“Oh?”

The lady wasn’t quite a friend or anything but she was very kind to me. We were more acquaintances than anything. Whenever I served her at dinner she would chat with me, then she would greet me in the hallways if we were to pass each other.

“I have a letter I need you to mail.”

“To who?” I raised an eyebrow.

She stood up. “Don’t worry about it, but it would mean a lot if you could deliver it.”

I nodded. “Of course, my lady. Would you like to join us for dinner?’

She frowned. “I. . . I better not. I should see to Jayen. I’ll take two bowls upstairs when you are ready.”

With that she left the room, her dress flowing around her legs as she walked. I shrugged and went back to the stew; I’d have to deliver the letter later tonight.