xxxiii

Ferni

“What happened with Jayen and Aoife?” I whispered to Kuna as soon as she left the room.

“She got rejected.” They shrugged and pulled out one of the pots Aoife had cleaned.

“Oof, that’s rough.” 

Kuna laughed. “Yeah, you know I’m glad it’s not awkward around here. Jayen moved out of their room though but I guess that’s the most that had happened.”

“Even with Jayen and the lady. . .?”

“What do you mean?”

“Imagine you ask out your best friend and learn they’re dating your boss instead. I could never. . .”

Kuna knitted their eyebrows together. “What do you mean?”

“Yeah Ferni, what do you mean?” Maj was leaning against the doorframe. “Aoife doesn’t know and they’re not dating. At least, not yet.”

Kuna put their hands on their hips and tapped their foot. “Maj what did you do?”

She hung her head. “I walked in on them, they were about to kiss and after Jayen left. . . I kind of, maybe, told Lady Dupon to stay away from her. . .”

“Maj!” Kuna was horrified.

“Why would you do that!?” That’s one of the dumbest things you can do as an employee and just generally.

“I know I know!” Maj put her head in her hands. “I was thinking about Jinan and how I encouraged their relationship. . . If I said something about it or if I did literally anything. . . I could’ve helped her. I didn’t want to make the same mistake. . .”

“Oh dear. You better hope that the lady doesn’t get you in trouble for this!” Kuna rubbed their temples. I felt a child watching their parents argue over their older sibling’s relationship. Even though I was older then her. . .

“I’m just worried about Jayen. . . she shouldn’t be dating the lady.”

“That’s not for you to decide!” I said.

Maj hung her shoulders. “I know. I’m going to completely butt out now but I don’t trust the lady. Something’s not right with her but I don’t know what.”

“Did you guys hear what Jinan said about her?” They both turned to me.

“No, I try not to talk to him. Ever.” Maj laughed.

I leaned forward. “Well, you know her husband died. . . He said she killed him.”