xxv.

Jayen

Her head shot towards me. “He was what?” She sounded furious--at least I think she did.

“Yeah, it got pretty bad. . .”

She grabbed my hand. She wasn’t wearing gloves and her hands were warm and strong. “Is that why you want to duel him?”

I nodded and raised her hand to my heart subconsciously. It was my way of showing that I was going to be honest, and completely open. The lady seemed taken aback by it. I wasn’t going to cry over him again and I was using her to ground myself.

“He started off really sweet and loving. The change was so gradual that I didn’t even notice what was happening wasn’t right. It wasn’t until Maj cried when I told her what he did to me that I realized what I needed to do.” My voice was starting to crack and I felt heat behind my eyes like I was going to cry.

“Oh, you poor thing--”

“Stop.” I shook my head. “I don’t want you thinking differently of me and I don’t need anybody’s pity.”

“I just--”

“What’s your name.” I cut her off. I was still holding her hand to my heart and I didn’t feel like dropping it.

“It’s. . . Alexandra.” 

“Alexandra. . .” I tested the name in my mouth. I liked the sound of it and from the blush on her cheeks, I’m guessing she did too. “It’s your turn to ask a question.”

“Are you and Aoife. . . together?”

I laughed. “No, I. . . I didn’t feel the same way. She said we can still be friends but she wants some space before that can happen.”

“Are you tired?” She smiled sweetly at me. I could barely keep my eyes open. Between Lady Dupon. . . Alexandra. . . laying next to me and the rain, I could fall asleep right now. But I didn’t want to end our little game.

“No.”

“Liar.”

I smiled tiredly. “I don’t want to fall asleep just yet.”

She flexed the hand I was holding and I let go. “I’ll blow out the candles. You can get under the covers.”

She got up and I did too before wiggling underneath the covers. The blankets and pillows smelled like her which was weirdly comforting.  She climbed into bed next to me in the dark, with nothing but the moonlight and the very rare strike of lightning lighting up the room..

She turned to face me. “Can I?”

“Can you what?” 

“Can I hold you?”

Thank Seves for the dark hiding the blush blooming on my face. “Yes.”

She moved closer to me and wrapped her arms around me. I shifted with her so that my body was facing her and my head was on her chest. My heart was beating so loudly there was no way that she couldn’t hear it.

I could already start to feel my eyelids drooping and her breathing evening out. She was so warm and she smelt like vanilla. 

“Goodnight Jayen.”

“Goodnight Alexandra.”