Chapter 20

Shawn

I wake up around eleven o'clock, having had a two hour nap. I still feel exhausted, but I head downstairs and don't find anyone home. Danielle must still be out at the party she took off to. I feel my stomach grumble and decide to make up a frozen pizza as I slide it into the oven and set the timer. I check my phone and have no new notifications.

It's sad really when I realize that the main person I only text is Lyla. I take my pizza into the living room when it's ready and sit back on the couch. I put the Blackhawks versus Leafs game I had set to record earlier on the TV as I dig into my food.

Around one o'clock I hear the front door open followed by giggling. I turn and glance over the back of the couch as Danielle and Erica come stumbling into the room. They both stop in their tracks when they see me. I offer a small wave before I return my attention back to the TV and the game.

There's only ten minutes left in the third period and the game's tied. I have most of the Blackhawks games set to record so I can watch them back if I'm not around to enjoy it live. I hear the girls move into the kitchen, their voices are murmured and I can't make out what they're talking about.

A few minutes later, they both join me in the living room. Danielle sits down first on the recliner and Erica sits beside me on the couch, thankfully leaving some space between us.

"Ughhh hockey," Danielle whines from her seat. "Can we please watch anything else?"

I just shake my head in response as my eyes remain focused on the TV. The third period ends and the game is still tied.

"Finally," Danielle says. "Can you put on Friends or something please?"

She is being sweeter then usual with me and I know it's because she is aware I am already going through a rough enough time then to try and irritate my already agitated state.

"There's still overtime, I'm not changing it yet," I reply as I glance over at her and she pouts her bottom lip out.

Again, she doesn't argue with me like she usually would and I can tell she's trying her best to be kind to me given my current mood. Instead, I watch as she gets up from her seat.

"Well, I am heading to bed then," she says as she starts to retreat towards her bedroom door. "Goodnight," she calls out behind her as she lazily waves a hand in the air to us before she disappears into her room.

I hope that Erica will follow her but no such luck as she remains in her spot on the couch. A few minutes pass and the TV shows highlights of the game so far that I focus my attention on. Once the highlights are over I plan on skipping through the rest of the commercials and crap to get to the overtime.

"So, Danielle told me about you and Lyla," Erica's voice comes out quiet and soft, just loud enough to be heard over the TV.

I glance over at her across the couch. She actually looks sorry for me. I'm slightly annoyed that Danielle told her about me and Lyla, but everyone will find out eventually anyway. The campus rumour mill is probably already roaring with the news.

"I'm sorry," she adds. I nod and force a small smile in thanks to her. I can tell she is genuinely making an effort. "Did you want to talk about it?" She offers hesitantly.

This scenario could not be more awkward. My ex girlfriend is offering to talk to me about a fight with my current girlfriend. I shrug my shoulders in response, unsure if I want to talk more about it again today or not. I'm still trying to figure it all out in my head let alone discuss with someone else.

"It just sucks," I finally respond. Direct and to the point. It's the best I can offer right now.

"Yeah," she agrees with me softly as we sit there on the couch, looking at one another.