Prologue

VANCE ARDEN.

YEAR 2030.

FIFTY EIGHT. . .

Fifty nine. . .

And. . . sixty!

The minute hand struck at the number twelve of the wall clock.

"Test takers, kindly raise your pens. Your time limit for test A is done," the proctor said as he stood up from his wooden chair in front.

I slowly peek around to see the other students' reactions. Obviously, based from their frowning lips, most of them weren't done with their papers. Sino ba naman kasi ang makatatapos agad ng pagkahirap-hirap na entrance exam? Which is a hundred item test only for the part A, yet, the time limit is indeed pressuring!

I leaned my back comfortably on my chair and passed the test questionnaire to our proctor. I gave him a forced smile and as he past by my chair, a little smirk formed from my lips.

I am taking an entrance exam in a prestigious University as of the moment, but I am not aiming to ace it. No, that's not my goal here today.

Napatigil sa pangungulekta ng mga papel ang proctor. Agad akong lumingon sa gawi niya at gano'n din ang ibang kasama ko sa room.

He start talking to someone on his phone. I even heard him say, "I'm coming, wait for me at the corridor."

What a perfect timing. I thought.

He is about to step outside the room but as he paused, he turned back his head over his left shoulder and gave us all a sharp look.

"I'll be back shortly. We'll begin the part B of the entrance exam." he paused, "Wala munang lalabas, just stay here and wait."

"Yes, Sir," we answered in unison.

I yawned and the proctor vanished from our sight. I immediately stood up from my seat to get something I hid from my right sock.

Before we enter the campus, the security was pretty tight and strict, but their security system isn't strong enough for someone like me. I always have great plans. Especially, for an extra paid instance like this.

"Got it!" I exclaimed in relief.

Now, the next step. . .

"Attention, everyone!" I said and everyone laid their eyes at me. They waited for my instructions patiently.

"Just like what we've planned out," I started, "two look outs at the back and front door!"

As I said, they moved quickly to cover me, as we all have one goal here- We will steal the answer keys for the entrance exam from the proctor's laptop with my help. . . in exchange of their money.

I knew it all damn well. Iiwan ng proctor nang gano'n lang ang gamit niya. What a dork and careless.

Before I insert the flash drive in to the proctor's laptop, I took a quick glimpse of my wrist watch.

Damn it!

Three minutes has been wasted, I gotta hurry now! If I failed right now, all of us will be doomed. I will be done! I couldn't let that happen!

I'm certain, I perfectly calculated the time that will take him outside. Someone called him and asked for help about the passcode from the registrar office. I disguised as a janitor here last night. Tiniyempuhan ko ang pag-lock ng admin sa office. Such a piece of cake, I altered and hacked the passcode.

The changed passcode will be activated five minutes after I start counting down awhile ago. Basically, it will took him there to stay for approximately six minutes. I've been working some security and computer stuff since I was a teenager. I mastered the trick through the help of my late master.