IX. Story of Another Traitor

c h a p t e r 9

VANCE.

I CAN'T believe Commander Atalia said that to Ryde. She told Ryde to eliminate Verity without hesitation or even remorse in her eyes.

I can't find any valid reason what made her think that way. I don't know if someone has brainwashed her to act as a criminal. I don't know if she's just really doing this for the sake of her reputation. . . as what Jake has perceived.

I was taken a back when Commander Atalia continued her narrative from the pre-recorded video.

"This is Nauticus Ship, an autopilot underwater vehicle from Classified Investigatory Unit. If conflicts may occur, you need to navigate it manually with two pilots. Push the red button from the navigation desk, and the pilot seats will appear from Nauticus compartment, beneath the ground level," she explained to us briefly.

I turned my gaze on the ground and there's a trace of the way to compartment. A rectangular lining that cannot be opened from the outside. It has no handle or any access button attached to it to be operated. Unless we follow Atalia's instructions about it.

"Illicit Task Force. . ." Atalia caught all of our attention, "You're almost half way there. We can't afford to fail this mission, that's why my team selected distinctive suits and weapons for each one of you. Check those out in the arsenal. Utilize everything you have inside the Nauticus ship as you like, that's your privilege." she then, leaned forward closer to the camera, "But privilege comes with great responsibility, so you must not fail me."

We must not fail her? Must not? Meaning to say, we have no choice other than fulfilling this crap mission?

I never thought that there would be someone more annoying than Colt.

The pre-recorded video ended and Atalia vanished from our sight too. With that, all of us were shocked when Ryde walked towards the arsenal.

He forcefully pulled up the cover and from my spot, I had a glimpse of the weapons and suits, just like what Atalia said awhile ago.

Ryde then, grabbed a weapon. He abruptly closed the cover steel, and it caused a deafening impact of a metal collision.

I slightly flinched. But my eyes got widened when Ryde immediately pulled the barrel and decocked the gun. With a glaring stare, he aimed the gun right straight to Verity's forehead.

I immediately stood up from the deck as I came closer to him. "Ryde? Seriously? You're gonna follow that woman?" I asked him as soon as I reached his spot.

He didn't answer me. He fixated his eyes at Verity. I can't seem to find any fear from her reaction. She's just throwing the same death stares with Ryde.

I heard footsteps coming towards us, it was Jade. She's back with her casual clothes. Boots paired with tight jeans and a faded denim jacket with her shirt inside.

"She was there last night," Jade said as she carefully walked towards our place. I reckon she's still recovering from the abduction.

When she reached our position, she continued. "Kasama siya ng mga lalaking nagpasok sa 'kin sa van," she added.

Agad na napatayo si Jake sa narinig mula sa kapatid. Lumapit siya sa pwesto namin at hinarap niya si Verity.

Bigla namang sumugod palapit kay Verity si Jake.

"You have my respect since that night when you helped us, but what you did doesn't sit right with me!" Jake thundered, his face turned red out of fury. He clenched his fist, seemingly wanting to hit the woman in front of us.