XI. Almost, halfway there

c h a p t e r 11

VANCE.

WAIT A damn minute.

Jake and Verity used to be lovers too?

If life's been jesting us, this is not a good thing to jest about. I couldn't barely grasp what I have learned few seconds ago. As I tried to look back at the time of our first encounter with Verity, I never suspect and expect that three of them were significantly related.

I think  I'm gonna lose my mind. The fact that Verity's ex-boyfriends crossed their paths is a big deal. And what bothers me big time, Jade is fuming mad about it. . . as I overheard from my place, she has no idea that her brother was Verity's former lover.

They've been arguing about the issue for about half an hour. After a few minutes when Colt left me, a catastrophic argument began.

Hindi ko alam kung tama ba ang ideya ni Ryde na pagkausap kay Jake. He just added a fuel on fire. At bakit wala siyang ginagawa ngayon? Hindi niya man lang awatin ang mga kasama namin? Pirme lang siyang nakasandal sa navigation desk habang pinapanood ang sagutan ng magkapatid at ni Verity.

Hindi ko na napigilan ang sariling tumayo kahit mahapdi pa rin ang natamo kong sugat kanina.

As I reached their spot, I butt in. "Can you guys talk without yelling?" I said as my brows arched.

All of them stopped from arguing as they looked at my gaze.

Mabuti naman at nakakaintindi pa sila. Daig pa nila ang kindergarten kung umakto. At mabuti naman hindi pa nakikisawsaw si Colt. Delubyo na siguro kung sakali.

"Now, everybody. . . chill the damn out." I looked at them intently. "You can settle things if you know how to listen first before speaking up." I walked towards Jade and tapped her shoulder. 

I leaned my lower back to the asernal as I attentively listened to Jade's story. I mean, their story.

She looked down and took a deep breath before she started her narrative. "Jake and I, we're hustlers," she said.

Kaya pala gano'n na lang ang reaksyon ni Jake sa ipinalit na apilyedo sa kanila ni Commander Atalia.

Of course, con artists are meticulous about their identity. They value it more than anything and anyone, because if they missed protecting it, they'd screwed it up.

"Identity theft and forgery were our cases," Jade continued. "We prepared one thousand fraud licenses, but we got in trouble to falsify the signature. Our equipment ran out of ink, and we took the risk to digitized the signature of the other licenses.

"On the day of distribution of the licenses to an accomplice insider, Atalia arrested us. A personnel from her Unit pretended to be our accomplice and they imprisoned us in the Classified Investigatory Unit," Jade briefly stated.

"Acquiring a long term memory loss made you stupid, Jake? What a shame," Verity commented from the other side of the asernal. "We almost settle down, remember? Good thing it never happened." she fixed her posture as she plastered a smirk.

They almost settle down?! Totoo ba talaga 'tong mga naririnig ko?

"After Ryde vanished like a coward jerk, I came back here in our country. We met on a pyramid scheme, but before we became each other's fools. . ." Verity turned her head to Ryde, "I tried to contact him. After all, he owe me an explanation. Am I right, dipdick?" she rose an eyebrow.

"I never owe you, Locke. No one in my life. Not even the person who have raised me," Ryde, with his sharp glares, he firmly said.

"Ryder, hey. . ." bigla namang umawat si Colt sa namumuong argumento ni Verity at Ryde.