VIII. "Truth be told, I lied. . ."

c h a p t e r 8

VANCE.

"BE ONE of the Gorgons, and these lame people could live."

Ryde couldn't able to react upon hearing Verity's irrational condition. Colt was flabbergasted behind him. Her brows narrowed and she slowly glanced at my gaze, as she gave me a puzzled look. She's maybe wondering who's the woman in front of us.

I shrugged my shoulders. I'm not in the right position to tell someone else's story.

But this woman. Verity.

I knew it from our first encounter. Her past relationship with Ryde was never a worthy alibi to help us. She did that for her own motive.

I stepped forward and break the silence that is quite swallowing us. "This is your main plan all along, Verity?" I asked her, provocatively.

Ryde, on my left side, didn't intervene. He stayed silent, but as I had a glimpse of his gaze, I can see in his eyes that he's contemplating our situation. That was the same exact look he plastered on his face, the last time we got in trouble at Dezvouz Town.

Verity didn't answer my question. She diverted her attention and put some stuff on her black jeans' pockets. She somehow ignored my presence. Pretending she never heard what I said.

"Wow, you also got an attitude?" I scoffed and slowly nod my head. "Bakit? May referral bonus ka bang makukuha kapag ni-recruit mo si Ryde?" I rhetorically asked her.

I felt someone's hand on my right shoulder. I immediately stepped back when I saw Ryde behind me.

"Let me talk to her," He mumbled.

"What are you really up to, Locke?" Ryde cornered Verity as he pinned his hand against the wall. Napatingala si Verity sa mukha ni Ryde at ngumisi.

Hindi nagawang makasagot ni Verity dahil biglang nagsalita si Colt malapit sa pintuan.

"Sandali lang, Ryde," saad niya at humakbang papalapit. "Who is she?" walang prenong tanong niya.

Agad na napalingon si Ryde sa gawi ni Colt at mariing pumikit.

"Your team is quite problematic, Harrison," Verity said and smirked.

"Shut your mouth, you red-headed freak!" Colt retorted as she pointed at her.

I flinched to what I heard. Colt is fuming mad, her veins can be visibly seen from her neck. 

Inalis ni Ryde ang pakakapatong ng kamay niya sa dingding at umayos nang tayo saka kami hinarap.

"I need to talk to her," Ryde said, firmly.

"Why, Ryde? We barely know her, yet, you trust her that much?" She retorted back and glared at him.

Sang-ayon ako sa kanya. Walang rason si Ryde para pagkatiwalaan pa si Verity. Her real color was exposed.

"Alright," he uttered as he fixated his gaze at Colt. He pressed his lips hardly and took a deep breath. "Verity and I used to work together," he continued.

"They're ex-lovers," I added to his statement.

Sabay silang napagawi sa kinatatayuan ko. Ryde cleared his throat and turned back to Colt's direction. I never heard Colt sighing that deep before.