𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟿

I WAS ROOTED on my spot waiting for the five racers including Hades to get into a place altogether with only three feet of distance. Harley nudged me on the shoulder offering the vodka flask. I declined and looked back over to Hades' stance.

"You're overthinking." she mused. "He has done this for who knows how long, and plus he is the best."

"Relax, Avery. Trust me," Finley reassured from Harley's side, and I nodded. They were right. I shouldn't worry. Hell, he had showed me a side that seemed so threatening when he came to my dorm and showed up with a bruised hand, and almost beat up face. He seemed known for this type of lifestyle.

    I subtly wondered if Finley knew anything about what he did. I would not be surprised if he did or did not. But then Hades seemed to be a person who wouldn't speak to anyone about this, so it would be hard to say.

    Harley doesn't even know anything of what I suspect either, but then I wouldn't really be hiding anything cause she already suspects. I rolled my eyes mentally knowing she would still want to hear the words come from my own mouth. It's her one friend rule.

    From a distance I see Hades jump on his bike and drive into the starting point of the race. My heart was racing and I didn't know why. A man with spiked-up hair takes a stance in the middle of the five racers including the man who once won Hades on a race and he gives them a brief nod.

    I shuffle, feeling my toes itch. "Ready?" I hear Spike-hair shout and all the racers nod except Hades. Spike-hair holds up a time watch and speaks again. "In one..." the motorbikes move on their clutches. "Two...three, go!" then they all take off before anyone has time to processes. My eyes stay on Hades' black bike until we can't see him from distance.

    A few moments passed, and I wondered if this was normal.

    Weren't they supposed to do a turnaround?

    My eyes shifted to the man telling time, and I see him take a glance at his watch for the third time. I furrowed my eyebrows in worry and looked over at Finley and Harley. "Is this normal?" I asked Finely who was already looking at me in worry.

    "No, but..."

    "What do you mean?" Harley questioned. I tugged on my hair and looked around us to see that almost everybody looked as curious and worried. Some didn't even look to care.

    God. Please be ok.

    Why am I worrying so much?

    "Look, maybe they just stopped somewhere. I can guarantee you my cousin is not a fool on these races. Just wait." he began to reassure again.

    "Avery, he will be fine." Harley turned to me then towards Finely, raising an eyebrow. "Tell her he will be fine," she told him, sternly.

    "I am more than positive he is fine, Avery." he rubbed my shoulder, but even their reassurances didn't convince me. I looked back to the guy taking time to see he was with another two men now. Standing here doing nothing made me feel useless, so I brushed past Harley and Finely and made my way down to where the race started. One of the men standing noticed and walked over, right away pulling me back.

    "Avery!" I heard both Harley and FInely's shouts but ignored them.

    "Where are they?" I asked the man holding me back by the shoulders. He gave me a raised eyebrow probably thinking I'm a crazy lunatic.

    "We don't know, kid."

    I felt a pull by the shoulders, removing me away from the big man standing in front of me. I turned around to notice it was Finley, shielding me away. "Don't land a finger on her. You don't want Ash knowing or you won't hear the last of it." the man lifted his palms in the air in defense, and walked away. I wanted to ask what that was about, but right now wasn't the time.