𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟸𝟸

THE DAYS HAVE STRANGELY been happening quickly. It was beginning to feel as if everything was a dream and I was imagining everything.

Suddenly, everything seemed to be going so wrong. Everything was so fine two weeks ago but everything quickly vanished into thin air.

Not speaking to Hades had become harder and harder as the days passed by. Although the pain and heartbreak in my fragile heart hadn't mended I couldn't deny the longing and burden I felt without his presence around.

The night I'd gone to my dorm and didn't turn back to glance at him, he didn't go after me like I wished he would. I knew that although the question I had thrown at him had caught him off-guard and that he wasn't expecting I still felt a sort of resentment. He could have at least spoken the truth. His silence seemed to hurt more than the words would have hurt themselves. I tried to scold myself that maybe I didn't give him the chance the speak, but still, I was fully determined that his silence had said it all.

Plus, I hadn't entirely said I loved him either.

It was getting even harder living with this--without Harley by my side. My best friend.

I was completely zoned out lost in deep thought as Mr. Thompson—my astronomy professor explained the branches of the moon, sun, and stars. I had only paid attention for the first thirty minutes until my thoughts took over mid-way. I hadn't been feeling every lecture or any second of the day in general. It was getting more and more difficult to concentrate.

"Ms. West?" I almost jumped off my seat as I looked up from my desk and down towards Mr. Thompson who held a stern gaze towards me. "Can you please answer my question?" he ordered and I looked around lost, knowing I hadn't paid much attention and didn't even know what question he had asked.

The nerves went all over my body as everyone's attention was entirely on me. "Um...can you repeat the question once more?" I politely asked and with no argument, he repeated it.

"How much space debris falls into earth's atmosphere every year?" I shifted in my seat remembering that we had discussed this last lecture. Come on, Avery. Don't make a fool of yourself.

40,000 metric tons of- "Roughly 40,000 metric tons of interplanetary matter strike Earth's atmosphere every year." I nodded, confident with my answer.

I waited in anticipation as I waited for his confirmation. "Great job, Avery. Now can someone explain to me how much six space stones of these metric tons weight?" I breathed out a breath of relief, glad I didn't embarrass myself.

Jesus, I needed to get my head out of the gutter.

As the lecture continued with me trying not to zone off and actually paying attention the class was finally over and I was partly relieved. Once the day was over only meant more sulking and enough alone time for the thoughts about the past couple of days to rush back.

I picked up my laptop, and bag and then left the lecture. When I stepped out to get air into my lungs I breathed in, taking in the fresh breeze. God, did it feel good? Those classes seemed way too suffocating.

Making my way to my dorms finally, through the wet sidewalk I held my bag tightly around my shoulder until my eyes caught the pale purple sweatshirt I recognized as Harley's. I always have her shit about that sweater. It was so old.